Sound Help - Very low engine sound

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by DerrickM, Jan 15, 2023.

Tags:
  1. DerrickM

DerrickM Registered

I've made adjustments through the sound menu for soun(engine) levels but nothing seems to help. I can hear my tires, other cars, and most loudly the wind noise. But, I barely hear the engine. Is there some file that needs work? I've recently( last week ) done a verify files and there were 8 that were updated. Thanks if you have any ideas.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you on the latest build? Should be "None" in the rFactor 2 BETAS menu in steam.

Which car? If multiple cars, list some of them.

3. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

I've the same problem with some cars, for example the MCR 2000 where the engine hardly sounds. I'm on the latest build.

Rene Brandon likes this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

cars that do not have updated sound files to work with the new sound engine, such as the Reiza cars and many other 3rd party cars, only respond to changes made to the sliders under the LEGACY header. If I recall, the MCR has had previous threads here about how quiet the engine volume is.
    At this point, it is up to the 3rd party mod creators to update the sounds, the best example is the F1 1986 historical demo with the sound done by @doddynco . But few others have been willing or able to make such commitments to update the sound files they use. Even S397 has been VERY VERY slow updating DLC and other official cars to the new sound standard.

5. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Sorry for the TLDR post but, I've had these same issues and have much time invested in tunneling through some rabbit holes for it. :p:D

Firstly, running Steam File Verification can certainly solve some issues. I also had the 8 missing or corrupted files (with associated odd volume levels). In my case, fixing those files made the settings much more responsive for reducing effect-volume discrepancies.

Another possible issue is related to audio virtualization issues. Generally speaking, the game sound-engine can handle the spatial audio as intended better than other software-based enhancements although, there may be cases where certain configurations of hardware & software can provide excellent spatial audio, too. For example, the Valve Index audio (VR) is exceptional imo but, that uses its own processing solution, bypassing the normal PC audio processor.

When limiting the conversation to typical PC hardware audio solutions, it's best to avoid 3rd-party virtualization apps and disable any audio enhancements in Windows (as game developers generally advise). Such apps can have negative dramatic effect on spatial / directional aspects, as well as effect volume levels, in my experience.

Using the SoundBlaster AE7 soundcard, I was able to improve things a bit further by enabling "Direct Mode". This allows the game audio signal to bypass potential audio interference from the Windows audio environment. There are some clear benefits from using such mode as the clarity of sound and spatial effects is quite obvious. Point being, if your hardware offers such a feature, it's worth some time to test it for yourself.

There are certainly some significant volume issues between new / old content. Some of them can be adjusted fairly easily however, there are cases where tuning a couple different audio-sliders is required. One such case I found just yesterday, involves the Tatuus formula cars. Some of them at least, have extremely low in-car volume while the opponent volume can easily overwhelm. Increasing the slider for either the "In-car" volume or the "Legacy Engine Volume" (alone) had zero effect. It was only when I increased both sliders (significantly) that the Tatuus in-car volume responded accordingly. I also needed to adjust the "Outside Volume" slider in order to achieve the desired result.

I hope something shared here is helpful. ;)

6. DerrickM

DerrickM Registered

Thanks for your help. I changed the number of sounds from 255 to just 64. I remembered I had this problem once before. I think it defaulted to 255 when I verified my files. But now, I do not hear the wind noise.

7. Rene Brandon

Rene Brandon Registered

I have this problem still with the Formula Vee car.

8. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Reiza content for rF2 is currently being updated to current standards. Update release-date unknown at this time.

Rene Brandon likes this.
  9. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Has anybody tried going to the sound settings from the main menu or from the race menu and switching the sound mode from whatever one you normally use to another one then back again. For me this fixes the quiet sound when using car with legacy sounds. I have my sound set to "speakers", so I switch it to "headphones" then back to "speakers", immediately you can hear the difference with the replay playing in the background if you are viewing from the cockpit. The engine is now a lot louder. This needs to be done every time you restart rF2.

Its as if the legacy sound engine isn't configured correctly until your sound mode is switched.
    Ill be interested to hear if others experience the same results.

RaceNut and DJCruicky like this.