Sound Engine - Direction variable missing

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by doddynco, Jan 6, 2023.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

The cone and direction features are not doing anything in the new sound engine. In moddev, the direction variable doesn't load or show anything.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Seems to me instead of manually entering a direction you just use the current camera position to dictate the value. Panning around the skip barber with the engine event activated seems to do this fine, especially if you change the cone properties. (although the front and rear sounds the same in the skip!)

(the default values are good illustration, because the front and rear cones have a first value of 180, with fadeout complete at 270. This gives them overlap, and the engine sound gets louder when you're adjacent to the centre of the car. Changing the cone parameters to 90,270,0.0 gives uniform volume around the car)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  3. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Thank you for taking a look Lazza.

When I trying to work out the cones, I would disable the rear by turning the volume to 0. The problem is that could still here engine sound at the rear of the car.

The way I understand the cones is that 270+ degrees from the 0 cooridinate, there should be no 'front' sound audible. But that's not what I'm getting.

4. doddynco

doddynco Registered

The two volume entries under front and rear are just for testing. In this case, I can still hear the 'rear' of the car when looking from the front.

Is this perhaps to do with reverb?

upload_2023-1-6_15-33-42.png

5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I've just realised that 'cone' for the exterior engine is in the skip barber example! Silly me - I will take a look and should be able to figure it out.