Sound effect after shifting up; how to?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Navigator, May 22, 2016.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Almost all cars in rF2 go up in frequency (off course ;) ) and after shifting up, it just starts again.
    In real life, almost all cars, almost all the time, have a.......how do you say that? A tremble? A shimmy?
    Anyway; I hope you know what I mean; it just doesn't starts again from a lower frequency but "goes up and down a bit".

I like that effect very much and looked for how to do it. I found it in an older rF1 mod and noticed very little. Its not the shift sound itself, but its in the power sound.

Now my question; how do I get that effect IN the sound?
    I have a program to do a lot with sounds, Audacity, but that one, I can't get in there.

Any suggestions or other tips would be very great and appreciated, thanks.

2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

The noise is caused by the shock/stresses of load change to the transmission. If you are looking for good realworld examples, the grand-am mazda rx-8 or any racing porsche. An example in rf1: Enduracer's porsche.

Some sound programs allow you to section off parts of a sample/loop, thus you can have an intro, loop section, and outtro. As it is played the program will first play the intro, then loop for however many times it need to, then play the outtro on release. This is the sort of thing needed to do it properly in rf, but some out of the box thinking can produce similar results.

As rf/rf2 plays a sample it starts from the beginning. As that sample ends it will automatically (if still in the same throttle state) loop back to the beginning.

In rf if you are throttle down (the power sound is playing), then lift (the coast sound starts playing from its beginning), the go back to throttle (the power sound starts playing back from its beginning).

The trick Enduracer's did is to start your on power sample with the shimmy, then have a very long 'loop section'. You actually don't want to file to loop seamlessly. This comes at an expense of file size. The 'loop section' needs to be longer than the longest held throttle state, otherwise your sample will near its end and you'll hear the shimmy again. I was using the Nordschleife and driving backwards down the Dottinger Hohe initially to see if my samples were long enough, but I could hear them loop @ Daytona RC. Use at least 30-45 seconds of loop time after the shimmy. The longer, the less chance of it actually looping.

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the valuable information mate, good to know.

Only thing that puzzles me now is; how do I "get the shimmy in there"? I can make a (long) loop, make a piece of the sound apart and melt it back and so on; I just tested that, but shimmy.......nope.
    Do you have an idea?

4. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Good luck if you are trying to synthesize it back in. I always had to start with a sample where it is present to begin with. If the raw data for your sample is this seemingly random string of characters:
    JLASDJFGASJDGAJSGLJAGH
    I'd set regions for the shimmy and the part you want to loop:
    JLASD|JFGASJDGAJSGLJAGH
    cut the end off, then paste it back on reversed:
    JLASD|JFGASJDGAJSGLJAGHHGAJLGSJAGDJSAGFJ
    Then copy the forwards and backwards 'loop section' and keep pasting until your sample length is long enough.
    JLASDJFGASJDGAJSGLJAGHHGAJLGSJAGDJSAGFJJFGASJDGAJSGLJAGHHGAJLGSJAGDJSAGFJJFGASJDGAJSGLJAGHHGAJLGSJAGDJSAGFJJFGASJDGAJSGLJAGHHGAJLGSJAGDJSAGFJ...
    Done? Maybe not. The trick is finding good source sounds and setting a good loop spot/length.

5. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

I really hope those "wobble effects" are part of the new drivetrain model (like in R3E).

6. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

It would be nice that the sound system can define a loop region inside the sample, so that we don't need to use very long samples.

As an alternative way, you can also include the "wooble" effect in the upshift sound sample. Of course this requires to define carefully the upshift sound timing.

7. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Downside would be that you don't hear wobble when you simple lift and push the throttle. Keyword is load change (just learned it is also called "drive hammer").

8. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

That's right. If you want it to always depend on load you can also include the wobble into a "tranny" sound, which it is related to load change. However it also requires a long sample and careful treatment.
    I agree best solution is what Lordspansington described.