Sound declined

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi all

had a break for around 3 years from rf2
    Back again & so nice many aspects have continued to improve especially the fantastic online system with ranking.

the one thing which seems to have taken a step back is the sound ,
    its lost the superb reverb/echo effect when moving close to walls/barriers something which was very immersive & other sims like iracing greatly lacked .
    It’s fine otherwise.

is there any way to re-enable this ?

Corti likes this.
  2. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I agree that this was a really nice feature of the old sound engine.

It is caused by close objects/track boundarys which in turn dynamically decreased the 'size' (and consequently, intensity) of the reverb effect' to the closest object/boundary in that frame, which, whether it was intended or not, created a very convincing 'whoosh' effect as you passed small objects which filled the stereo field.

I'm not sure if the new engine uses these same spatial markers to determine the size of the reverb anymore, as this seems to be set up (and possibly fixed) inside of each individual car's sound configuration file.

I'm not totally sure if this is the case but I think it's worth digging to find out if we still have access to these dynamic spatial markers, and if we simply need to dial in the reverb effects to get this back. I certainly hope this is the case because the flexibility and sophistication of the new sound engine would mean that we would even be able to improve on this old effect... I will take a look this evening.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
  3. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

In terms of in-car / replay audio, the cars sound better with the new sound engine (whatever it may be) but it lacks in terms of providing convincing racing-environment effects. Is it a matter of not being fully developed yet or is it a limitation of the sound engine? Maybe it has to do with resources going to LMU development?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    Corti likes this.
  4. doddynco

doddynco Registered

The new sound engine is not a limitation at all - it's completely open ended and you can pretty much do anything. The problem is the time it takes.

Corti likes this.
  5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Ok so, unfortunately, we don't have a sound variable for 'Left wall distance' and 'Right wall distance', or anything to the same effect.

So without those variables exposed, there's nothing that can be done to create reverb that reacts to the environment in this way. I suppose that's another one for the wish list.

I haven't actually tried to see if the reverb can be controlled dynamically with variables at all - maybe it can't, and that would be a shame.

One example where this could be really good is the Monaco tunnel. The old system however was not good for this, because the track barriers are the same distance from the player at the entrances to the tunnel, so there was no change in the reverb effect in the tunnel itself. To correct this, in addition to left and right object distance variables, we could also do with a 'tunnel' variable that is created with the track. Basically just a value between 0 and 1 that will be set by the track creator to determine when the tunnel effects are present... So in the pit garages this would be low at perhaps 0.2, then in long tunnels it goes up to 1, with a smooth fade back to 0 at the entrance and exits.

6. Corti

Corti Registered

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Is there any way to switch back to the old sound engine ? overall I think it was better

ling likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Only by going to an old build that won't be compatible with new cars.

There is no way, no possible way, the old engine was overall better. The reverb effect, when reduced from the ridiculous default levels, is a loss. But there is so much that has improved otherwise...

RaceNut and Adrianstealth like this.
  9. ling

ling Registered

is there any way to get the ambient sounds to work in the new sound engine, like the sound of helicopter i think ? you can hear the sound of the helicopter in this video using a old version of rfactor 2

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Reverb echo effect is the biggest loss
    Sound has become generic limited like other sims