Something good happened (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kevib1, Jan 19, 2016.

1. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

In the past my modest pc rig has managed rF2 to my needs, medium/ high graphics, 12-15 car field fps capped at 65 gave smooth performance dipping a little on the grid. I also run FaceTrackNoIr head tracking to give a much more natural feel to the view.
    In November I upgraded to Win 10. Since then terrible performance. FaceTrackNoIr went from using 5-8% cpu to 25-28%. rF2 struggling on medium settings and stuttering whenever anything interesting happens.
    CPU is always maxed, Graphics card barely registering an effort. I have followed everything I can find to optimise settings to help the cpu.

And here is the good bit!
    Last Saturday the latest updates were applied to Win 10. Now FaceTrackNoIr uses 4-5% cpu, rF2 capped at 90fps dropping to 80 on grid, 16 car field, all settings on high and cpu steady at 60%. GPU is now at 100% and working hard so may need to review settings there. This is better than I've ever had on the is pc!

Now if I can just find out what happens at midnight and 00:30 that causes all apps to crash and requires a reboot I'll be over the moon.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Auto updates of Windows. Go in settings and select a restart time (or check for updates manually then restart it yourself when needed).

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I have the same bug in W10 forever just in rF2, not as smooth as W7 and lower fps, mild stutter, etc.

In the end I thought it had nothing to do with drivers or hardware or settings
    but rather some Windows process, bug, something I have turned on or off, I don't know.

Maybe this be the golden bullet for me too.

I boot up the W10 SSD later and try this.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Did updates ( have not used the SSD a week I guess ) rebooted

Joined ISI F3 Server

Crap ! it is as smooth as, just confirms your experience, no driver hardware or settings touched.

Wow, respectfully I never would have believed it.

5. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

It isn't the applying of the updates that is the problem I think it is something it is doing whilst checking for any updates. In Win 10 Home I don't think there is an option to have this happen at a different time or not at all. I think the issue is between the webcam and FaceTrackNoIr which then causes rendering issues in any C++ app then until I reboot. Very irritating when it happens but I only be single player and I should be calling it a night then anyway :)

6. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

Glad it isn't just me. I guess MS have updated or turned off something that was causing huge processing overhead. I wondered whether the AV was being a little overzealous with external inputs such as steering wheel and in may case webcam but I don't care so long as it doesn't come back!