Some Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C3PO, Dec 21, 2012.

1. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Hello -- been following development closely recently after I was initially put off the product by the FFB which for me was far too strong in the early builds and made my wheel feel like it was about to be torn apart. Also had trouble calibrating the wheel etc...

Anyhow, that was then and this is now. Spent most of my time in the GT-R Nissan and at the Sebring mod track. For me, the graphics inside the cockpit are not the best: the textures feel low-res and the textures of the side window look bad, IMO. The wing mirror looks like it was a competition to keep the poly count down :) I have spent much of the time doing ten lap races at x15 with a 4pm start...enjoying the transition to night racing. Like the time of day changes very much indeed accepting more work will further improve it.

I particularly love night-time -- the night feels sharp to the eye and the lighting of the car's headlights a superb "white". Feel the brake lights need to be much, much brighter and more distinct as that is how they are in RL -- almost dazzling sometimes. The lighting from the fixed lights on the tracks -- as well as the "glow" emerging from the headlights when looking at the car from the outside -- needs more work -- far too low-res and doesn't look good. Accept it is all WIP and these things am sure will get fixed :)

Those are the negatives out of the way. There is one MASSIVE positive. You guys have totally nailed the feel of driving a GT car. It is awesome. I smile every time I take Turn 1 at Sebring, marvelling at the way the tyres grip, then lose grip and react to the surface of the track. A complete feel of a "weighty" race car totally conveyed through the FFB. Really enjoying too the way the dynamic track is evolving with rubber build up. Another big positive is the AI -- a huge step up from rFactor. In that sim, I suffer a lot of cars just barrelling into me with no thought of taking a considered approach. They are Grosjeans. But in rF2, they are smart and refined, the Jenson Buttons of the AI world.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Keep up the good work and really enjoying seeing how four big sims for 2013 -- rFactor 2; iRacing; Project CARS and Assetto Corsa are really shaping up well for us sim lovers. Never seen a period like this for enthusiasts like me. Next year will be epic.

1 person likes this.
  2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

+1, Im driving almost at the bonnet in these cars, please reconsider cockpit graphics ISI guys :(

3. Golanv

Golanv Registered

+1 for most parts :)

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Guys -- how do I register my rFactor2 like you have in your profile on the left here? I have obviously bought it etc...

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Go to MY Profile and choose Sync

1 person likes this.
  6. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Grazie -- sorted :)

1 person likes this.
  7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

If you have a problem with the lighting at sebring you'll have to take it up with vlm. Even though they've been told a million times their curbing is off big time they still won't change so good luck on getting them to change anything about their lighting. :p

8. C3PO

C3PO Registered

It's more the rendering of the lighting cone from the light itself - same for the lighting cone from the car's headlights.