Some Newbie Questions About The AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hornet85, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Hornet85

Hornet85 Registered

Hello all, I hope this is the right section to post this. I'm a newbie to sim racing, just recently purchase rF2 and a racing wheel set. So right now I'm just practicing to learn and improve. I'm comparing my lap times to the AI (set at 100% strength) to see how far off I am.

Anyway I'd like to know if the AI do optimize their car setup for each circuit? Or do they always stick to the default setting for each car? Right now I'm not doing any setup changes, and I'm just assuming that the AI doesn't too, so I could get a balanced comparison of lap time. Would love to confirm if that is indeed the case, or not.

Secondly, is the AI 100% strength a good representation of an average player? If not, any advice on what strength I should set the AI to. I figured I should get myself up to average level first :p

Thanks in advance.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Hi Hornet,

No the AI are not technically optimised to each circuit but they can behave "better" at some than others, bascially there are many many many (many many many many....) variables that go into the workings of the AI to get them to perform at any track. Starting with the MOD itself, the tracks AIW (this is the "Path" for the AI as set by the track maker), the Talent Files which dictate their behaviour & overall skill and finally the possiblilty to alter AI characteristics by editing your player.PLR file itself......Bascially there's a lot of stuff involved!

If you set the AI to 100 at an official ISI track with official ISI mod and you're close to their times then yeah you're good, of course you can get better though ;)

I would'nt compare lap times too closely, as above there are so many variables it makes it hard to justify a decent comparison, best way for that is to pop online and race the Humans...dont be scared by that, it's the best way to learn IMO.

Any other questions fire away :)

3. datanode

datanode Registered

Hi there, as I understand it there are a couple of threads about the AI using different setups etc, if I find them I will post them in this thread. It is rather complex and I wouldn't get too wrapped up in that aspect.

As I also understand it, letting the cars actually run practice for an hour on a track will build their understanding of it. Which is an important aspect, this I think continues each time you play that track, they learn it too :)

But someone please correct me if I am wrong.

If you are putting in respectable times, pending errors in aiw files etc, then you should be good. Sticking to the isi tracks is probably a better representation (probably!)

As above, join an online game or too. Respect the rules of that server, watch for flags. Join a starter league? Online race etiquette is something lost if you practice only against AI, as above, be respectful of the rules of that server and be considerate :) and most of all enjoy it!

Look forward to seeing you online :)

Might be worth getting the VMOD a server uses and all the files you need. Places like ISR are very helpful with stuff like this and have certainly helped me :)

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yep afraid you are, you need to set autocalibrate to 1 in your plr and go into a practice session with 1 AI and he learns the track to the best capabilities of the tracks AIW, if that's bad the AI will always be bad no matter how much learning they'll do.

see this thread for more information on this ands other AI related stuff:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/12831-The-definitive-AI-Settings-Thread

5. datanode

datanode Registered

A long read, but currently tweaking these bits is a way to get it a bit better.

But I would say, don't do this to start with unless the AI are hopeless, you are awesomely fast or some of or a lot of the both factors.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php?t=9541

This is the kinda stuff I would so for longer race distance practising for consistency, fuel and tire wear :)

6. datanode

datanode Registered

Thanks MarcG that was the thread I was looking for!

Mine is about the AI using Setups :)

7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

As far as I know youre right!
    In rF1 it was the case; don´t think that it should be different in rF2.
    Surely this learning is not so extensive like the "autocalibrate AI mode", but it should be there.
    Greets
    Pete

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Again you're mistaken I'm afraid, read what I posted above, the AI do not learn a track over time, they never did in rf1 and don't in RF2 unless you set auto calibrate to 1 and do as I said above with ONE AI car.

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Mhhh, sorry Marc, but I think you´re not right.
    The AI in rF1 DID learn in training and Quali sessions!
    But they forgot the next time you fire up the game/track.
    We just observed it again that weekend when a few tracks made problems with
    one special mod. And they CLEARLY try to correct the lines and go faster.
    They make a similar procedure in the sessions as they make in "autocalibrate AI" but they
    ain´t have enough time.

Greets
    Pete

10. lamck

lamck Registered

Is AI=100 the reference point for all ISI cars too? I can compete with AI=100 using Clio in Silverstone but I'm struggle with AI>92 using Brabham BT20. I know I need more practice and study about the car & the track, but where is the milestone I can move to another car?

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I don't remember that happening at all in rf1 and I spent a vast majority of my time with the AI, have you got any proof of this? which mods and tracks? will reinstall rf1 and check it out.
    one thing I do know is they do not learn in RF2 unless auto calibrate is on.

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

All mods do this.
    Maybe you have to put in PLR the "Auto Line Smooth=" to 3.
    Maybe the PLR line "AI Power Calibration=" has to be adjusted correctly.
    Take a track where the AI struggels a bit.
    You will see that they try several things and are because of this faster at the end of qualifying at example, as
    at the beginning of training.
    And I can´t believe that this changed in rF2.
    Greets
    Pete

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

aahh right you're confused, that's nothing to do with Learning the track at all, that's just making adjustments to help them be better suited depending on the mod. Granted those adjustments in the PLR do help the AI perform better, but it's the Autocalibrate that actually deals with "Learning" of the track, that's what was being discussed.
    At no other point do they learn and get better as each session progresses, certainly with RF2 they should be getting faster as the session progresses due to the rubber laid down, whether or not the AI are affected by Real Road is another discussion.

14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Like I said: There is a similar routine as in "autocalibrate AI mode"
    that is used in normal sessions too. (seems obvious)
    And they will be faster at the end of session(s).
    If you don´t call it "learning", ok.

That´s for shure all that it has to do with the "autocalibrate AI".
    It is clear that this autocalibrate-thingy stands for it´s own.

Greets
    Pete

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Can you prove this routine then please? as I have not seen it at all like I said in rf1 or 2, and as above with more rubber down in RF2 they should be faster at the end of the session but that has nothing to do with getting better at driving the circuit in the session like you say it does, still does'nt explain rf1 though as obviously there's no Real Road in that.

16. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I don´t have to prove anything.
    Never watched the AI too long he?

But, maybe we should concentrate on rF2 in this thread...
    Question to all:
    Someone ever had a track with bad AIW or bad driving of the mod where he/she
    tried "autocalibrate AI"?
    I just used it 3 days ago in rF1 and it´s astonishing how the AI fixed the bad line.
    Is it good in rF2 too? Maybe someone should create an xtra-bad AIW-line to test it...

Greets
    Pete

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

well that answers that doesn't it, let's agree to disagree.

as for AIW it depends how bad the AIW is, using auto calibrate won't fix every bad AIW of a track but it's worth a shot, even with good AIW it's worth trying just to iron out any dodgy areas.

18. Tosch

Tosch Registered

You can test it at Poznan. There is a turn with some strange slow downs in the fast path.

[​IMG]

19. Ducatiguy

Ducatiguy Registered

I think a lot of the AI talk/issues revolves around what each individual wants or hopes to get from the AI. I also think the 100% is a bit misleading, we naturally want 100% to be equal to the real thing...and it's not. I battled that mind set when I started with rF2.

I found much more enjoyment when I lost interest in the %age of AI. I now set the AI to be competitive with ME and MY lap times. Fro some cars/tracks I'm 100%, others 92%, or 94%, or 98%. I'm frequently increasing the AI% as I develop better setups or improve from practice.

I no longer give much concern to the AI %, I simply want to be mid-pack pace or slightly better and adjust AI% simply to accommodate that. I find I get much more enjoyment this way.

If one has a goal to be competitive online, probably no substitute for turning laps against the real competition.

Do what works for you, and what give you the most enjoyment.

20. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Tosch what program did u use to show the graphic of the corner speeds?