Some mod/package help for a newb ?

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by kro388th, Nov 12, 2012.

1. kro388th

kro388th Registered

I am a total newb to modding but would like to try and mod the 2009_megain isi original (make a new mod) so that we can change gear ratios to be able to race on larger tracks and not ride the red line ;-) thats all, not adding any new cars or skins (at this time) just editing the gearbox.ini and the HDV ... I think i have a good idea what to do from *this post to babs ,in fact he showed me where to edit the gearbox.ini to add the ratios and " AllowFinalDriveChanges=0 // not permitted to alter final drive ratio" from 0 to 1 to to actavate the gear ratio in game within the HDV ..

Now what i have done so far is open, in MAS2 ,the Megane09_main.mas and extracted the Gearbox.ini and the HDV into my work dir I created following the tuts so its away from my rf2 instal , I have edited the gearbox.ini to add the new gears and in the HDV changed 0 to 1 so that part, i believe, is done so these files are now ready ( i hope lol) but i now am at a loss of what to do to .. is it time to repackage now? Do I add these back to main.mas or make a new main.mas by copying/pasting all the original files with these 2 edited ones in place of the originals? sry im such a newb but i want to learn and i got this far so if anyone can help I would rely be gratefull !!!

thx ! ;-)

* http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5323-Problem-create-MOD?p=113925&viewfull=1#post113925

2. kro388th

kro388th Registered

OK I have tried trial and error my self to get this done , i created the 3 new .mas files needed for the mod , xxxx_TEAM.mas, xxxx_Main.mas , xxxx.mas I only had to edit the main.mas to change the HDV and add ratios to the gearbox.ini so the other 2 are simply copys renamed for new mod .. Now i get to this part .
    snip>

Now its time to pack them all together. Click the C button in the MAS2.exe program

- Click NEW Component button
    - Name your class (Meganes_ISR f.i.)
    - Select a file location for the new component
    - Fill in a version number, and select the type Vehicle
    - Click on the Open file button in the middle, right
    - Browse to the newly created .mas files
    - Select the new _TEAMS file and if you changed the windows, the new Megane.mas file
    - Select the Megane_MAIN file from youi copied from the original Megane content

You now should have 3 mas files selected. Megane_MAIN, Megane and Megane_TEAMS. Now you can click the Package button.<
    snip

I do !!
    I click the package button and select "create single cmp Package" then i see "add new component" hit the file icon and the " edit componant name" box opens , I add the new name for the new mod , Now hers wher it gets screwey the next box down says componant with a file box next to it with a drop down and a file icon to the right , then the version ,type ,minimum build ectt.. now it wont let me add anything in the file drop down , I assume this is where "- Select a file location for the new component" is suposed to go ?? it seems it will only allow, via the file browse icon a already exisiting cmp file ?? I trying to create the cmp file so it doesnt exist yet .. ok , so i go down to the mas file window below , i use the file icon and locate my 3 files and they load up in the window,have check box's all checked , i Hit package button and get "error,cannot open .mas file" so after 3 hrs of trying am stuck ..

help ?

3. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

As far as I can tell, you've done everything correctly. Couple of things
    1) when you select <Add New Component> from the Select Component dropbox, the Edit Component Name box should come up automatically. The file icon is for editing the name of an existing component.
    2) You just type in the name of the new .rfcmp file you want to make if it doesn't already exist. It asks you to confirm that you want to create a new file (twice, for some reason?)
    3) as for the error "cannot open mas file", it's probably referring to the new .rfcmp file you're trying to create, not the mas files in the list. make sure you're .rfcmp file is being created in an area you can actually write to. program files (x86) is not one of those areas.

4. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Thx Joe , Ahhh yes the folders i created for modding are in the x86 so i will move it , The add component works and i can add the new name but as for the "File" drop down under in the component box it is blank and wont allow me to type in it.. maybe when i move the mod folder i built out of x86 it will work ..

Thank you ! goin back in !!

5. kro388th

kro388th Registered

View attachment 4696 Well it now gets wierder , I moved the location of my mod folder to the desk top , re ran the MAS2 and tried to package up the files and it said it was compleet but I could not find it anywhere , did a HD search and nada so i desided to just start over wiped everything clean , extracted the .mas files agan did my edits to the xxxx_MAIN.mas for HDV and gearbox.ini used the "add.mas file" select all ectt.. and renamed all 3 files for the new mod , Tried to package it up and now i get "error opening mod" ? lol..sheesh .. I know im screwing somthing up along the way ...

6. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Ok reinstalling 118 full now ..lol somthing happend and while working with the "installed" folder pulling vhe filles out messed up my main install i now have duall mod installs , mods showing "installed" in mod manager but wont show up in game ,megane 1.1 showing installed in mod manager but no wher in game cleo mod is messed ectt... .. ..lol newb mistake im sure ..

7. kro388th

kro388th Registered

I obviously corrupted my install after moving the Mod folder I made out of x86 to the desk top ( I don’t have any partition its strictly a gamming box lol) it bled into my rf2 install and reeked havoc !

So I gave up for a few days and reinstalled the 118 ( clean install runs a lot better ! lol) Now I'm going to try again to get this done but I have a few questions .

1. Can run these exe’s MAS2 & Mod manager or build my “mod work” folder in my portable F drive devise ? I have 320 gig Seagate free agent go external HD usb connected drive so will this work ?

2. I see in the vid tut that he has a lot more stuff in his “work folder” then I did and having the issue where I cannot name or build the “new folder” where the mas’s will be packaged like “megaines modded v1.0” it simply is a blank pull-down that I cannot type in . so what exactly do I need inside the work folder besides the MAS2, Mod manager , Packages folder ,component folder , ?? should I copy my “installed” folder from docs/rf2 ?? what are the essential components/files/programs I need ??, popcorn,green beans ?

Also I see he is packaging up the mas's 1 at a time and checking to make sure it lands in the xxxxxx v1.0 folder ( the one I cant build) where in the steps printed above it sugests you can choose all 3 at the same time and "package" ...???

I'm missing something here and the tut, well he's a pro and goes over stuff rather quickly with no detail on what is actually needed for everything to work for A total newb like me ...lol

Ive done the file editing I just need to package this and ive hit this wall ...

Anyone ???
    help me obiwon~ka~newby

8. kro388th

kro388th Registered

*SOLVED*

renameing the non edited components then packaging/installing to the properly named componant folder did it .. I then could build a vmod from it ..

Thx