Some info on communication

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Mar 20, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Hi folks,

It's not so much communication as information, but it's information about communication. Still works, right? :)

I normally do this when I can, but want to make a point of it from now on, and decided to do it public instead of just an email direct to the devs, so you can see issues per-build getting noticed.

So, this is where you should start to talk about things (REPORT AS BUGS, BUGS) that are still issues you think we forgot about, so I can report them again. I think the devs are interested in tidying up almost as much as breaking new ground over the next few builds.

Here is the thread I'll be entering things in, as well as trying to reply where I can in the threads they were reported in:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...read-here-for-current-things-reported-to-devs

Tim

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I don't understand fully Tim; put the bug in here or in another thread?

For now; I do it here ;)

In build 590, I get stuttering and as the session goes on, it gets worse.
    I tried the ISI spark at ISI Monaco and in the beginning, it doesn't run smooth (which it was in the last XX builds)
    Then, I see a car driving on the right side, it has to go to the left side in order to make the turn. All of the sudden; he's there! Sort of like lag, but this was offline.
    It got worse; objects started doing this too and coming out of the tunnel, approaching the chicane, I got the barrier a lot closer to me in a flash. Scary as hell ;)

The old build, running next to it, runs okay. Virusscanner or things like that not running. Settings the same.

Also; the shadows. I got them high and all is the same as in the old build (590 is fresh install) and when I got on the track, I thought I forgot to put them on.........
    Way less shadows and the build up you saw 100 meters in front of you, is now 20 meters in front; trees too.
    Don't know if thats a bug or made that way, but I just mention it.

3. 88mphTim

No, report the bug as normal, making sure it's not already in the thread linked. :)

Best also to make a thread for each issue, if that helps understand.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

You want me to do that in this case to?
    Next time I will off course.

5. 88mphTim

Shadows have changed. I can't really put in any report when you say you're not using the same settings. Yeah, please report the issues in the bugs forum when you do.

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks, I will do that.
    BTW, I said I did have the same settings ;) (only way less shadows to see)

7. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

-Well think i would like to point out how much worse the lighting looks in showrooms than it does on actuall track,
    so showrooms need a cubemap or something too.

-Not some much of a bug but significantly better documentation for modders would improve the modders base and therefore quite possible kick-off the modding community for rF2

-I cannot run max settings with 20+ cars because the application runs out of memory, so 64bit would allow me to play rF2 in all its beauty

-The only 4 cars with headlights on at the same time during nights are simply immersion-ruining

-The other driver's Civics are still weirdly jumping on the road instead of normal suspension movements, creating effects of sort of broken axles or something. (seen that on Simautosport Civic league youtube video last time)

-Still getting some small lags when other players join the server, sometimes the lag is bigger.

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Ok, I´ve noticed this with build 494 and with the new one it´s the same:
    When you load a track with let´s say 12 AI´s then one have a more or less BIG
    impact on performance on track. Example: with F2 on Silverstone international
    it goes down from 66 to 27 FPS!(The size of the impact depends on mod.) Maybe...
    But when you load the track without any AI and instead add the same amount of AI
    later on track then there is no impact at all!!???

Where is the technical difference between the two?
    Is it possible to have the same performance with AI on at loading?
    Can some people who are "on the edge" with theire card do me a favour and
    test this?

I think this should be reported...
    Greets
    Pete

9. 88mphTim

The difference would probably be you hitting the limits of your system and the sim dropping out of realtime running. I had an i5 2500 and did manage this a few times when I had programs running in the background.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Tim, he's loading the same number of AI in both cases, but experiencing big performance drops when loading the track with them all included vs loading the track and then adding them afterwards. So ending up at the same place via two different methods, and ending up with different results.

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Thank´s Lazza!
    Exactly this!
    Tim only read first half he? :p

12. 88mphTim

Wouldn't they just be doing different things?

Does the FPS not stabalize after time? I can completely understand there being different FPS if the sim has to create the AI, load the textures, etc, on the fly while runnng, and need some time to handle those.

13. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Mhh, after two laps its the same.
    Don´t tested longer. Well it doesn´t matter if you wait in pits
    for a few minutes before going out...
    I really wonder because I can even load 20 AI from 3 different mods
    and there´s no noticable impact when I load them on track.
    The models and textures has to load too in that circumstances...
    I really don´t get it...

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

He's getting poor performance when loading them with the track, but good performance when loading them 'live'.

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I expected drops but didn't. added 10 AI before loading, then 10 AI after loading, same result on Malaysia. kinda surprised me.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I cannot reproduce peterchens issue, same FPS regardless of whether I pre-load AI or add them in track.

17. MJP

MJP Registered

I can't reproduce this issue either, the only thing I did notice that there was less VRAM being allocated after loading the AI 'in track'. However waiting a bit until some cars actually went out on track then allocated VRAM jumped up to similar level that preloaded AI had.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

some of the problems/negatives in the last couple of builds I see as simply growing pains,
    rf2 is starting to really happen now, after a lot of patience ( or rather in my case impatience & frustration )
    looking forward to new builds again ( & fixes etc )