Some FFB help needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shushkata, Mar 4, 2023.

1. shushkata

shushkata Registered

Hi all, i need some help regarding the breaking effects felt trough the wheel. They are really strong and the whole wheel / stand is rattling when i break heavy.

I have played with the controller.jons file but either i cannot find the right setting or i am not lookin in the right place. There is a line for breaking strength effects , but changing the value is making nothing really.

I don't want to lower the overall ffb strength just to dampen this feeling.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

which car and what kind of wheel do you have? A lot of DD users have found the latest update to the GT3 Porsche has created issues like you describe.

3. shushkata

shushkata Registered

I use a CSL DD wheel on 8nm. I currently drive the AMG GT3 and yes, with the latest update.
    There is a way to drive the previous version and test it, but still, why are the breaks so dominant in the wheel ?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's not a direct brake effect (the brakes aren't sent to your wheel by default; that's why changing those settings aren't changing it). The tyres produce forces when they grip and slide and grip as ABS takes effect, and it seems recent changes to the geometry have increased how much you feel the effect. Also I would presume the ABS itself is updated to the new model, and that may make the ABS more active or change its frequency/strength.

So: I don't think there's any way to change just this 'effect' directly. You might be able to reduce it by adding more FFB smoothing (or changing other FFB settings) but it will also affect 'normal' FFB at the same time.

5. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

What I did is raise the brake force in my pedal software and raise brake pressure in the car setup.

I guess its more of a workaround than an actual sollution but it seems to have made it a lot more playable.

6. Bernat

Bernat Registered

What's your stand? Because some stands amplify wheel vibrations instead of dampening them.

7. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

One question to be explored is if the brake-vibe effect is coming purely through the rack forces or are they tied to one of the Direct-Input ffb channels. I can take a look at that and see if changes to those DI settings have any impact on the brake effect.

No change through DI settings. If there isn't a dedicated setting in the controller-json for this effect, then a solution would have to come from S397.
    • UI Switch to disable the effect.
    • UI Slider to decrease the effect intensity.
    • Reduce the effects impact on ffb globally or per car.
    I don't mind the brake-effect but, it could be toned down a bit. I tend to run more Friction / Damping in my wheel's settings than most players and it's still pretty harsh. Player-option choice would be ideal, imo.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  8. Bernat

Bernat Registered

As noted already, I don't think there's a brake effect. That's how other games work, using baked effects that trigger when certain things happen. In this case, the FFB is the result of the tire forces acting on the wheel as a consequence of all the things the tire is going through, not just the braking.

I'm not a fan of edulcorated, customized realism, but for those who have issues with their setups or their tastes, I think they could implement FFB postprocessing with customizable filters. I think some high-end wheels can already do that. It could definitely be implemented in the wheel software and it would work on any game, but it doesn't seem to be the trend.

When I had my wheel attached to my desktop, it would make the whole desktop shake violently (resonance effect). Now that I have mounted it in a proper stand it doesn't anymore. Flat spots still produce an unpleasant and strong vibration but it's how it's supposed to be, and I'm fine with it.

9. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yeah, I can see how the ABS carries through the rack forces and FFB gets no telemetry directly from tires in any case. The strong ABS ffb issue seems to be with some DD-wheels or cases where things are not optimal. The ABS vibes can be quite harsh and while SC2 has quite robust filtering available, increasing that also removes other ffb details overall so, it's not the best solution unless you prefer very basic ffb.

I already use a lot of Friction and Damping at the servo settings, which already addresses any oscillation and harsh details, yet the ABS effect comes through in strong fashion. It's not a resonance level effect at all, more like closely spaced jolts in ffb.

I have yet to try increasing rF2 ffb smoothing for the ABS ffb effect but, I generally avoid that and let wheel settings do their thing. I like a lot of ffb detail but, the way the ABS comes through is a bit much, even for me.