Some Conversion ?'s

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by CosmiC10R, May 22, 2013.

1. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

Hi All,

I got rf2 two weeks ago after playin f1challenge many years ago and not having a pc for the last 8 years...
    So I download 3dsimed and off I go... I'm doing a conversion from R1 to R2 and I am almost blind from opening mas files, draggin/dropping/editing and exporting files...

That was Friday night... 3 days later I have followed the tutorials, watched the vids, and muddled my way (I think I slept, figuring out how to do the wheels took forever) through literally installing the game to the point where I have made my own .gen file for the car and have it working in the spinner as well as in game but in game I am having some issues...

1- I am getting reflections off the tread texture... it's a mirror... and not on the sidewall either ... just on the tread surface that makes contact with the road... I fiddled with different dds files but I really need to adjust the right dds and Im not sure where Im going. I adjusted the shader type to specular etc but I really don't know what the issue is as it's not changing it... Does this need to be done in 3dsmax?

2- In the spinner the car is correct but in game the front and rear tires/rims/bd are not aligned properly to the car... the rears are too far forward and the fronts are too far back... if it's right in the spinner why is it incorrect in devmode race??

3- The main car textures have reflections but are very diluted... like the contrast has been turned way down... This is likely related to problem 1.

This has been an extremely enjoyable process, somehow the hand anims work which was a nice plus... I'm not sure why I enjoy figuring this out so much, but it's cool to watch the stuff start to appear in game... It's just for personal use and knowledge of modding so any help pointing me in the right directions would be greatly appreciated.

2. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

Lol enjoyable and at times extremely frustating ;p hint on your conversion ?

mirror texture might be something to do with the material name make sure the material name is different for the actual mirrors and the tyres .... dont change the mirror material name though change the tyre material name the object may have to be isolated first

do your mirrors work?

3. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

2. Spinner doesn't use .hdv values, so if the wheels are in the right position on gmt basis, it shows them correctly. Ingame or devmode uses .hdv values also, and from your post it's obvious that LeftWheelBase= and RightWheelBase= are wrong, try a lower value.

3. Assuming you did the texture process in 3dsmax (3dsimed mess the carbody mat), try to tweak the specular level.

4. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

Thanks for the help guys...
    I had that aha moment where I realized it had to be the the HDV since I borrowed some physics to expedite the process... I'll dig into the physics soon...
    I used 3dsimed for the export so that must be what it is... Ill try some adjustments but I may be stuck for a bit at this point..

Again thanks for the help!!