Some advise; take care of your materials!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Just a word of advise that most of you know, but some guys forget because of.....they want to race! :)

I just took my wheel apart; it's a vintage MOMO red and was performing okay, but every once in a while I just do this.
    Now, besides cleaning and tightening all the screws (because they will go a bit loose after a while having to endure ffb) I took care of the pot meter. Don't know if there is a special word for it, but I mean the adjustable resistor as a sensor of the wheel position.

After this; I tried it out of course and was very surprised of the smoothness! As I said; I did it before, but now there was a giant leap in how the thing felt and how the game felt!

The pot meter; in the center position and just besides that, can be a bit smudgy or just not smooth; then the first bit of steering is not smooth of course. It results in the game; the wheel in the car is not smooth and the center position is not very stable.
    It didn't occur to me this was very much present.....it just wasn't that bad, but now......I wish I did it before.
    The center is more stable, the ffb feels way better and, important; when you have your head moving with the steering; the game is MUCH more smooth too!!
    When I drove into corners, it would happen that it looked that the game was not very smooth there. I already realized this was not from the game itself and it was very, very minor. Now; it looks so much smoother.....wow.

So; if you have some time to spare, just open it and clean it up; couldn't hurt to try and if you get a gain in feel and smoothness like me; you're a VERY happy camper! :)

2. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Sooo, you have a special device that measures your stock of pot? ;) Couldn't resist :eek:
    Very good advice. I'm always affraid of opening up my hadrware for the first time, because of the guarantee. But i think my DFGT is more than two years old now...so time for opening that thing up :)

3. tjc

tjc Registered

lol... :D

4. Minibull

Minibull Member

Nice one man :)
    I remember taking my old momo pedals apart as the throttle pedal reading was all over the place. The plastic seemed to have actually worn away leaving it all a bit loose. put some electricians tape round the pedal shaft and it was as tight as after. super smooth too.
    Also what was apparent was tje lack of lube on Logitechs part...lube not on tje actual parts that really need it...

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

The momo; that was the black one, right?
    That was pretty soon worn out, indeed!

Anyway, can never harm to treat the stuff right, lube it, clean it and the game stays awesome! :)

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

My gt3 rs v2 wheel seems to take quite a beating but I have to regularly clean my clubsport pedals.

7. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Care to post some pictures of what have you done with the wheel parts? :) I'm not good at electronic stuff, I might break the delicate pot meter instead! ;D

8. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

The term you guys are looking for is potentiometer, although I prefer radial actuated variable resistor myself. :p

1 person likes this.
  9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Sorry it took me this long, but I had to take the wheel apart again for this and time is not on my side lately ;)
    But here it is; I don't know what wheel you have, but I post some pictures and you can make up from them what it is; there has to be a small device with at least three wires on it that has a pin in it (or a small part of it) that moves with the turning of the wheel and the biggest part, does not.
    On my wheel (and I am sure most wheels) it is just pushed in, so you can pull it out.
    There are some holes in it and you try with a bottle of WD for instance, to spray in there.
    You can't open it in all cases I've seen; it is melted together so don't try.

Here's the inside of the wheel with the pot meter:

[​IMG]

Close up:

[​IMG]

Taken off:

[​IMG]

Here the piece where it came out:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.
    Just take care when you take it apart and look what you do; it's not hard.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  10. Spadge

Spadge Registered

I prefer "turny-knob".

1 person likes this.
  11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I get a lot of thoughts now, mainly physical :) You dirty man! ;)

12. Spadge

Spadge Registered

heh - it's YOUR brain that did that, not mine!

13. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Thank you so much for your photos Wim! :)

Now I'm wondering if WD-40 is safe to clean the potentiometer or other moving parts inside the wheel. I might clean the pedals as well.

I'm using Logitech MOMO Black by the way.

14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi Taufik,

No problem ;)

WD40 is good for the pot meter; it's a adjustable resistor inside and what better than WD40 then to get it over the "coils and sweepers" (lets say it's like that inside)......certainly no problem! (not to say; it's the best you can use)

Keep in mind that WD 40 is not grease; it's thin and so, for lubrication, you shouldn't use it. Especially pretty "heavy duty" stuff like pedals; you better use some grease there......WD40 will do more harm than good there.
    It's a difference between cleaning electric parts and lubricate heavy duty parts mind you.

The wheel inside is in bearings, so you don't have to lub that, just the pedals where they are captured in between the "cage".

15. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Ahh, I don't like vehicle grease, they are oil-based right? Sticky and make your hand dirty :D

I'll try to find silicone-based grease, I read that this type of grease is cleaner and last longer than oil-based grease.

16. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

sewing machine grease works well and is normally in a squeeze tube which makes it easy and clean

17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Whatever the grease is based on; as long as it is grease and no stuff like WD40 because that's often mistaken as a lubricant while in fact; it's to thin and have no good qualifications as such. Especially not for the heavier parts; lubing a door hinge just for not squeaking....is okay and that's as far as that goes.