[SOLVED] New Fanatec Owner - bemused and confused

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by MrPix, Sep 5, 2014.

1. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I recently retired my trusty (most of the time) Thrustmaster T500RS and rims to the shelf and invested heavily in Fanatec gear.

I have a CSW v1 base and the BMW and Porsche rims (F1 rim on back order) and the CSP v2 pedals.

Currently I am using the 32 bit rFactor 2 executable as this is required for my Geko seat to operate with rFactor 2 until they update their plugin....

For the time being I have removed ALL plugins from the bin32 /plugins folder that are not stock and come with the sim, to avoid unnecessary troubleshooting/questions/suggestions of conflicts.

I have tried the CSP pedals via USB and via the CSW.

I have tested over the past 3 days, many other racing sims/simcades and games.

I have zero problems configuring and using the Fanatec setup in every other sim/simcade and game.

anyway the situation is this:

Problem #1
    I lose the controller from rFactor 2 when either I change vehicle OR I go in to the settings and change a controller setting.
    When I go to race, I have nothing, no pedals, no buttons, no axis.
    If I exit rF2, the controller properties state that I have a Clubsport Wheel connected and all test pass without fail.
    If I relaunch rF2, and go straight to race, then I have control of the vehicle, I can restart the race, come out to the garage, exit to the selection screen (not changing anything)and I can go back to the race, but as soon as I go to the controller screen and back to race or change to another vehicle... bammo... no control.
    If I then go to control setting in rF2, then nothing works, (pedals, buttons etc)...
    If I press 'Detect' at this point, nothing is found.
    If I load a preset, nothing works.
    I have to exit rF2 and re-launch it to get it back.

Any ideas what I can try to get it to work?

Problem #2
    Compared to every other sim/simcade and game, the ffb is non-existent (almost)... retrun to center is just not there even when pressing the loud pedal, I would expect the steering to go to canter at this point.

I have driver 200 f/w 53, rotation 900, damping 0 in the CP
    I have my settings as 'vehicle set' in rF2 and multiplier at 1.0
    On rim I have the following:

sen=off
    ffb=100
    sho=100
    abs:90
    lin=off
    dea=off
    dri=off
    for=120
    spr=0
    dpr=0

the force seems very weak and lethargic.

Can you help me with this aspect?

Thanks in advance... I have had Logitech and Thrustmaster wheels for 10 years, so this (Fanatec) is a new regime for me. rF2 is one of my favourite sims and I'm just a tad frustrated it's not enjoyable any more since switching wheel manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Bizarre.

I have the same wheel with the same settings and am generally blown away at how amazing the FFB is in rF2 right out of the box.

You might want to try a completely fresh install of rF2 and don't use your seat plug-in at the beginning of the test. Just plain rF2 with only basic ISI content and only your wheel and pedals. Then if that works, add one item at a time until it breaks, or you can conclude that the fresh install solved the problem. New build coming very soon, so a good opportunity to start afresh with it.

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Did you plug the wheel into a USB3 port by any chance? Try a usb2.0 one just for the heck of it.

4. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Disconnect any other USB gaming device. Try it without custom plugins.
    Try if it is the same with the x64 rF2 version. Use the fanatec 200 driver

5. MrPix

MrPix Registered

@Marc, I have removed all plugins already as stated in the OP

@wgeuze , it's in a USB 2.0 socket attached to a Hub... I'll try direct to the mobo.

@alpha-bravo, as stated in the OP, no other plugins are there and I'm using 200, but I need the 32 bit for when I use the seat (testing without it)... I'll try x64, but that's not the answer currently. No other gaming devices are connected when testing.

My biggest gripe currently is that it loses the controller as described above. When I had the wheel and the pedals plugged in independently, it lost them both too.

I have never had a problem with Logitech or Thrustmaster and have had rF2 from the outset, so am really confused about both issues as pCARS, AC, Race 07/Evo, GTL, GTR2, LFS, GRID Autosport, F1 2013, Dirt 2/3 all work with the current setup, no loss of controller and oodles of FFB.

6. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Is it the same when you try other usb ports? try if possible usb2 ports from the backside. what happen if you try the ffb check in the gaming device settings?

7. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

New Fanatec Owner - bemused and confused

I understand that you need the x86 rF2 but for now it would be interesting to know if it works in any other configuration.
    Maybe it helps if you start rf2 with the trace option to see if something that helps is reported in the logfile. Are any events reported in the windows eventmanager like driver reset ?
    USB is disconnected and it is the same ?

8. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Everything works without any resets or USB plugging/unplugging as soon as I exit rFactor2... control panel test all work, other games work etc. I can exit and relaunch rF2 (as stated in the OP) and it's back... I'll try other ports later on tonight when I'm back from work.

See above... it's on rF2 that loses the sight of the controller, everything else can see it.... I'll plug in to a USB 2.0 port at the back directly and then I'm reinstalling from fresh if that makes no difference.

9. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

New Fanatec Owner - bemused and confused

I remember to an issue with my csr-e. Every time when my razor nostromo was connected then the ffb was extreme weak until I disconnected my nostromo.

rf2 deliver different predifined controller configs. Have you tested different rF2 controller configs ?

You can map a ffb device reset in the settings option. If you loose the devices in rF2 does a ffb reset change anything ?

I will take a look to this thread in the evening to see if you made some progress.

10. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

maybe rF2 change during the session the internal controller number I'm not sure ATM but I think there is an value in the player or controller jason where you can put on off this behaviour. never noticed this on my system but who knows ?

11. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Well... here's the thing.... I managed to dodge work for 20 mins, rerouted the USB cable to the back of the mobo, USB 2.0 and ... Initial 5mins testing suggests that both problems are solved!.... ffb strong as an ox... no disconnect between vehicles so far.

rF2 must be hyper sensitive as it was the only sim/simcade or game that was affected, hence why I was puzzled. I have yet to try other sims/simcades and games but my guess is that they may feel even better than they were before. Maybe I was losing resolution/data within the USB Hub (active) that the others weren't sensitive to... who knows... the main thing is..it looks like it's sorted.... thanks guys.... 32-bit and all plugins working too didn't need to do anything else other then plug the wheel in to the mobo directly. :)

Lesson of the day... PLUG EXPENSIVE DEVICES IN TO THE MOTHERBOARD USB!

12. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Some devices are sensitive to the round-trip signal time which IIRC, is the main reason for the standard USB max cable length spec. It could be that your hub was delaying signals just enough to be troublesome. rF2 does, I believe, claim to send a lot more data to wheels than other sims.

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Updated the firmware? Bad USB port?

14. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

lol Tim,title does say 'Solved' hehe

15. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Thanks Tim... It's is as if you haven't got time to read all the posts .... ;) ... solved it by plugging in to mobo... Cheers