Solved- New BT20 doesn't report ride height to Motec.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Lgel, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Errare humanum est,

New BT20 doesn't report ride height to Motec, previous version did.

It reports Susp_Pos with data and Ride Height at zero.

I would appreciate an explanation of the difference between those channels.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It seems this is happening with a lot of the updated cars. Isn't the same the case with the formula renault and the clio?

3. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

New BT20 doesn't report ride height to Motec.

Nor should it report that or anything else since motec didn't exist....

4. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Then it is a bug that the car reports all the others channels (G- Force, Oil temp, and 3Rd spring positions...).

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  5. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Yep agree 100%. Historic cars should not report ANY motec data

6. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I can suggest you run historics in RF2 with CP/M (an 8 bit operating system of the 80's), it improves immersion a lot, it disables completly Motec, and avoids all graphic bugs.

Cheers.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ride height refers to the distance between the undertray points and the ground, while the suspension position is exactly that... the position of the suspension. You don't drive around on the suspension itself, your wheels are bolted to the 'ends'. So they're quite different things. Even the vertical wheel position and the suspension position are different things, because most suspensions change the ratio between their motions. Ride height is an entirely different beast, especially when you consider open wheelers where the undertray points all tend to be quite some distance back from the front axle. Don't forget the tyres too, because their flex will affect your ride height independently (sort of) of the suspension movement.

PS If anyone's not sure how or why some cars do and others don't, here's what's in the skip barber (not an exhaustive example, I'm sure, but I think it may be one of the few illustrations of what's switching different data on and off):

Code:
    [PLUGIN]                       // Whether certain sensors are available as telemetry outputs
    AerodynamicSensor=0            // Aerodynamic force sensors
    EngineSensor=1
    SuspensionSensor=1
    TireForceSensor=0
    TireTemperatureSensor=1
    Oh, and PPS: I personally agree the period cars should only provide data appropriate to the period. But, first you've got the problem of ensuring that happens (a lot of files are open, or can be opened by people, and once you do that you can turn everything on again for testing purposes...), then you've got the argument that the same cars could be raced in more modern times when those sensors were/are available. I'd like to think a particular league/competition could have it one way or the other, but then you go back to the first problem...

8. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Once more Lazza, thanks for your explanation, I agree that from a purist point of view, telemetry shouldn't be available, but when driving a sim we lack a lot of feedback a real driver has or his mechanics could see (and yes they filmed their cars in those days).

I prefer having a semi logical process to setup a car, against the easy way of having someone give you a setup, or by trial and error run 600 laps on a track (have no such time to devote to the hobby).

It is very difficult to sense if you are riding with a high nose just by looking at your screen or at the replays.

And if you dislike this info you can very easily ignore it.

Thanks also for the hint about restoring channels, the BT20 hdv is not encrypted, I changed those lines in HDV and now it reports ride height again:

//AerodynamicSensor=0
    EngineSensor=1
    SuspensionSensor=1
    //TireForceSensor=0
    TireTemperatureSensor=1

As I supposed, I was riding with a high nose.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  9. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Telemetry should be available for all cars!

What you/we need is a 'realism' button/setting.

This can also cover the use of aids and I guess it can work along the same lines as the wheel degrees option.

Modders include a 'realism' option that only allows specific aids/options pertaining to that mod/car.