[SOLVED] Matcher Status: Not Connected to Steam

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Marco Boy, Jul 13, 2023.

1. Marco Boy

Marco Boy Registered

Hi all,

recently we move our own server, in my home to a new machine running windows 11.

Because of we have no much to 'port' from the old server we follow the istrution to install a new dedicated following this guide step by step ( https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/setting-up-a-dedicated-server ).

We install what we need (Vehicles and Tracks) and we start the dedicated with the following parameters in "Destination line" as properties.

but when the game load the track we have this

[​IMG]

We installed Steam and connect with my user and when steam i connected the dedicated says "Connected to Steam" but obviously, I need my user to play connected to the server.

It seems there no solutions, we try to copy old installation from old pc to new pc but nothing... always the same issue.

We also try to connect to Steam with a user that don't have an own copy of the game, but nothing.

Please, let us know waht we are doing wrong (I hope tha it does'nt need to buy a copy of the game top run a dedi)

Thank you
    Marco Boy

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Did you do the port forwarding to the computer that’s running the server?

3. Marco Boy

Marco Boy Registered

of course yes..
    and it works normally for other users...

4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I have a vague recollection about the runtimes, can’t find the post though…soooo on the server machine run the 4 executable files in the ...support/runtimes folder, then try the server again

5. Marco Boy

Marco Boy Registered

good idea just tried but no, same issue "Not conncted to Steam"

PC is on DMZ, Windows Firewall is ok.. really.. the problem is only Steam connection related

If we are connected the server is OK, if we are not connected to Steam with a user that own the game.... tha server say "Not connected to Steam" - that it's true but it should be not necessary...

6. redapg

redapg Registered

@Marco Boy It seems as if you use the Steam Command Dedicated Server.
    What happens, when you, before you start Steam, start the Dedicated Server?
    Does the same Problem appear?
    As you've said already, it is not necessary to "connect" the Steam Command Dedicated Server with a Steam Account for rFactor, to get it working properly.
    When i start my Server, it also shows "Not connected to Steam" for 1 Second and then it switches to "Connected to Steam".
    If it still doesn't work in the above described Way, you could try it with running the rFactor2 Dedicated.exe as an Administrator.

7. Marco Boy

Marco Boy Registered

Thanks readpg but no, i did not use the Steam Command dedicated server and I never had any installation of Steam on server machine.

But server remain not connected to steam long, also if i run it as administrator.

I reinstalled a fresh OS and new steamcmd and new dedi... nothing.. i try DMZ , then i try to open only the port as indicated on the istructions...

Really I don't know what else I can try. At the moment Steam is not installed on the PC and nothing.. nothing.. i follow istrructions step by step and, just to let you know, we are running rF2 dedicated server since the first year of rF2, 2014, we have had a lot of problem in all this time but this is seems (to me) unsolvable.

But thanks again, and remember any other suggestions are welcome
    Marco

8. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Now I’m a bit confused, firstly you say it’s not a steamCMD server, yet a bit later you say new steamCMD and new dedi. Looking at your first screenshot and the fact that you followed the guide for installing a steamCMD server I’m guessing you do have a steamCMD server.
    Is the server on a different machine to your game?

9. redapg

redapg Registered

@Marco Boy As @Goanna has said, it indeed is not clear what your Configuration is and it seems as if you changed it some Times after your first Post.
    If i understand it right, you use a separate Computer in your Home, that shall run only as the Host for the Dedicated Server.
    Is that right?
    If yes, install only the Steam Command Dedicated Server on that Machine, without Steam.
    Ensure that all necessary Ports are open and the Internet Access of the rFactor2 Dedicated.exe of the Server is not blocked by any Windows Antivirus Software (whatever Windows 11 uses now).
    Put some Content into the Installation and create a Server Mod with no DLC Content, just for Testing.
    Then start the Dedicated Server as an Administrator, like i did suggest above.
    What happens then?

10. Marco Boy

Marco Boy Registered

You're right, but when I start to have the problem No connected to Steam i began to try something like everything, till to install Steam and connect to it, and when I did it the server connected to Steam

This is the first thing I have done (like first post said) and was the last like my last post said (ok guys, consider here is Italy +2 UTC) and still no way.

But at this moment server is in DMZ, but previous pc, without Steam etc..etc. was in same home, same DMZ, same all except for OS, Windows 7 vs. Windows 11.

Later (very later) I will try to use the port like the istructions says instead of the DMZ and again run as administrator and I let you know...

Sorry for my poor English, I am not able to explain myself in the best way and I don't like to use google translate or similar (while problably i have to do it.. isn't it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  11. redapg

redapg Registered

@Marco Boy I'm from Germany and i also often have Difficulties, to express what i want to say, in English Language. :D
    Just to repeat it: check if the Internet Access of the rFactor2 Dedicated.exe of the Server is not blocked by any Windows Antivirus Software.
    And, of course, also not from any own Anti-Virus Software.
    I remember, that Years ago, with Windows 7 i guess, there was a Window popping up, when you did start the in Game dedicated Server (at that Time rFactor was working without Steam) the first Time, where you was asked if you want to allow the Dedicated Executable, to get Access to the Internet.
    And that up-popping Window was coming from Windows directly.
    You really have to ensure that that Internet Access is granted in Windows 11.
    As said, i don't use Windows 11 yet, so i can not tell you where to look at.
    Maybe Google can help in that Case. :)