Slowmotion bug (continue from v118 thread)

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Johannes Rojola, Dec 1, 2012.

1. MJP

MJP Registered

Be Quiet PSU's seem to be well thought of, a quality 500W should be fine for his rig.

Good shout on the power management mode in NVCP, that should hopefully stop the card down clocking/volting in game.

Also wonder if he could try overclocking his CPU, I know @1680x1050 and below I'm CPU limited (i3-2120 2c/4t) and seeing as rF2 can only max out 2 cores and the Q9650 on the socket 775 platform is getting a bit long in the tooth thesedays. Also don't go mad with the shadows as they hit the CPu as well.

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

UPDATE

Okay, I should maybe consult track makers on this. What actually happens is that I get this problem only at this Nords 75 track. I didn't even remember that other tracks were fine, as I almost only play this track (against AI cars). So, I don't know why Nords is so buggy but it is definitely the cause here. I can easily have large AI fields in other tracks, but not here.

Now if we just would know why this happens, it would help track makers later.

3. perplex

perplex Registered

I got a 580w bequiet power supply so its not the prob.
    Friend is coming later and will tune my cpu a bit maybe this will improve something too.

Thanks for that m8, i changed it like you said to maximum power.... just drived some laps on lmp with skip barber... fps above 80-90 smooth gameplay, no stuttering, memory clock is stable, temp goes up from 30°C to 52°C with 70-75% gpu load. NIIICCEEE i like ;)

Send me your bank details ;) Woohooo i can play again , thanks all for help!!!!

4. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

I'm getting this problem now. Altho my system is getting dated(Q9300@3Ghz, GTX560Ti with 2Gigs vram), it has always handled rF2 with most settings maxxed out, typicaly 75+ fps except at starting grid.

Now with a fresh install of build 125, I can get about 5 laps in practice session with 70 fps then BAM drops to 22 and stays there. Every time lol.

I've tried with the barber cars and the gt cars, but only at LRP.

EDIT: Nvm, forgot I had recently updated graphic drivers, went back to my trusted 296.10's and problem seems to have vanished.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  5. perplex

perplex Registered

Update again with no good news.

..... thought problem is solved but its not.

After some testing.. i need about 5-6 laps due to that time i have no problem at all even no stuttering if ppl joining.. so not more fun then 6-7 minutes, until screen gets black and comes back with 20 fps only. Memory Clock slows down to 324mhz, heavy input lag after that.

6. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Sorry to hear that. Have you checked CPU and GPU temps when this problem happens? Is your Graphics card an Overclocked version? I have 2 560Ti and both needed more volts to run properly. I also have a GTX 580 that requires more volts to remain stable. These normally crash any games I'm playing though, doesn't slow them down. Which driver are you using? As posted above you may find using an older driver helps.

7. perplex

perplex Registered

CPU i didnt checked at that time, but GPU was nice at 51°C. Yeah i got a clocked Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom. Ok sounds really difficult/or risky to play with volts , no ?! can you help out which parameters i have to edit or how much or is it just "a try on urself thing" ?

Really ****e. I managed to get the game working now. But with lower Settings AA off and reduce Special Effect was helping to get it stable now.. i mean the game isnt crashing anymore, but i have bad fps on LRP sync on or off doesnt matter, doesnt get better after time, some areas on track are working nice, chicanes for example not, stuttering occurs when turning in to uphill chicane, close before driving down the hill and start finish line. After first two curves stuttering again with about 50-57 fps.

I tried the oldest and newest, pre newest one I could get from Nvidia Page. You think I should try a reinstall ? O/S or Game or both ? Maybe the gfx change is making trouble anywhere ?

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You are skipping updates to your ECCI wheel, right?

9. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Tried the skip update, without avail. Afterwards disconnected my wheel(g27) alltogether, also in vain. Remarkable is, like mentioned before, that on my system it is always is only the nr. 5 core(AMD FX-8120) that gets fully loaded during these slomos. Does somebody know whats being calculated in this core?

10. 88mphTim

The only things it can really be is CPU throttling, which can be disabled in BIOS, a system issue we have never encountered, or that some hardware driver is dropping the sim out of realtime, because it's overloaded.

Try disabling FFB in the sim (just to see).
    Try skip updates (remember, this isn't FFB filtering, not the same thing...)
    Try disabling any speedstep or CPU throttling/power saving systems.
    Try logging CPU usage, to see what is really using the CPU, because it probably is a device driver.

11. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

BREAKTHROUGH HERE!!

finally found the culprit for this issue on my system. Up till now I only knew the powersaving software that came with my Asus motherboard, and which I hadnt installed anymore, but never thought of checking my bios settings. Asus have a system called turbo core(turbo boost for Intel I believe) which can throttle up cores that are heavily used, and throttle the other ones down. I think this is enabled by default, and for some reason this doesnt work very smoothly with rf2(or maybe its just not that appearant with other software). After I turned it off, I was anxiously awaiting every new lap, afraid that the slomos would start any second, but they didnt!:p Hope this maybe is of any help for you guys.

View attachment 4986

Greets,

R

12. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Oh almost forgot, thanks Tim for the hint!

13. 88mphTim

14. 88mphTim

ps-make sure you never disable heat safety shutdown. :)

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I had this at LRP just minute ago.

Every lap slowdown in similar place.

Then it seemed to start moving to another place, every lap bit further.

After I hit CTRL-C, I could see that at certain place purple bar reached full length and sim dropped out of realtime.

As I did observe more, I could tell that slowdown did happen every time AI cars did drove at certain turn.

My first though is that perhaps AI slide treshold causes slowdown at certain corner and that then would cause slowdown, I need to test that by setting AI slide treshold so that it never enables more ticks for AI.

Another thought I got is that perhaps collision detection might set off high detail detection as for me it appeared when AI cars were close each other, but I need to test this bit more until anything really useful can be said, but these kind first observations for now.

16. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I had this Slowmotion bug for the 1st time in 10 months. It was driving your new Volvo mod jtbo. Purple bar was at 100%. Just though I would post and say.

17. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Yeah, with that mod it happens easier than with other mods, I have to look that one too, it can be more of mod issue than software issue, but need to do more testing to find out culprint.

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

With Skip Barber 15 AI at Lime Rock Park, I have observed that purple bar is quite long at start and first left hand turn, it looks like if it would be higher when cars from middle to last go trough that corner.

With Nords75 track, they cause full length bar and dropping out of realtime.

I tested also Nissan GTR GT1 car at Nords 75 track, 15 AI cars and purple bar grows near full length, but sim does not drop out of realtime.

So for some reason physics thread is lot heavier in Skip Barber cars than in GTR, this is even at starting grid waiting light to turn green.

Also I tested with old tire model and it did of course lower CPU usage, but not very much and same effects were still happening, bar grows near full length in these tests.

Also I did set temporary AI tick increase so that it would activate only at over 100 rad/sec which should mean that it is off, but this had no any effect that I could see.

So currently I'm not any wiser about why that usage grows at 1st left hand turn at LRP and why GTR is causing so much less load to physics thread. I test more tomorrow again.