Slowing Down AI

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KayTup, Nov 28, 2023.

1. KayTup

KayTup Registered

Hey guys!

I've been having a lot of fun with the 1975 F1 cars (shoutout to Chief Wiggum and co.) but they're struggling quite a bit at Spa 1967; mostly, they're carrying way too much speed into the sweeping corners like Stavelot and running wide, which spits them right back on track and causes a huge blockage. I've gotten FCYs working at that track, but it's still not very fun to pace behind the safety car for 90% of the race.

Is there away to increase how far the AI drivers look ahead so they can slow down a bit more for these long corners? It works fine with other cars, so I think the main issue is with the car AI, not the track line.

Thanks in advance!

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

sounds like a new AIW file will have to be created. There are several folks here who can 'possibly' help.
    @redapg might be able to help or at least point you to others. Have you tried slowing the Opponent Strength?

3. KayTup

KayTup Registered

Hey Dave!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that’s what I was wondering; if you guys have any resources for adjusting AIWs, specifically things like track borders and braking zones, a simple link would be awesome!

I have tried slowing the strength down, unfortunately the cars still want to send it 2/3 wide through long corners and that’s what’s doing it. There’s plenty of room on the inside but they force each other out wide because they’re carrying too much speed regardless. I’ve also tried all the different aggression levels, with no luck.

I’m only really planning on using this track with these cars, so if I mess up other cars’ lines that’s not a big deal to me.

Thanks again!

4. Simonk

Simonk Registered

If you want to edit the AI driving line, you need to get the track into Dev mode and edit the AIW. To get them to slow down more, you can reduce the speed numbers on the way points approaching the corner.
    Do the cars have RCD files? A lot of low grip cars have been ruined by the AI updates as the AI can no longer control them. Adding RCD files can significantly improve AI ability, particularly if they tend to understeer in high speed corners. Ironically, RCD files can make some cars worse so unfortunately there’s a lot of trial and error.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

If you are up to mod cars for yourself, and you really need it, you could modify this:

Code:
    AIPerfUsage=(-1.0,-1.0,-1.0)   // PLR file overrides for (brake power usage, brake grip usage, corner grip usage) used by AI to estimate performance - only positive values will override, see PLR for defaults

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'd say either custom AIW line (can be specific to a car, I think?), or maybe adjusting the RCD StepSpeed values (how much they look ahead, as the OP stated).

Changing overall strength or speed doesn't seem to make much sense.

7. KayTup

KayTup Registered

This is great! Thank you; I'm guessing my best bet here will be to play with the corner grip usage value; hopefully the AI will realize it doesn't have as much grip as it thinks it does!

8. KayTup

KayTup Registered

I can definitely add RCD files! I haven't been on rF2 for long but I do have a bit of experience with .rcd files; what specifically do you think I should look for in the RCD to change this?

I'm also not opposed to trying AIW editing in Dev mode; I'll have to take a look at my options! Thank you so much.

9. KayTup

KayTup Registered

StepSpeed might be what I'm looking for! I'll have to look into messing with that in the .rcd, I think that's probably the problem, that the corners at Spa like Stavelot are so long and sweeping that the AI can't take the whole thing into account.

Thank you so much for the help!

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I hope it helps. In my mods ilike to give AI "too much" grip, and then reduce usage of it with these modifyers. This way AI is also more stable, helps with historic cars. I guess more modern cars AI can work while racing closer to their true grip limits.

There are also some AI specific downforce parameters, maybe these could also help specifically for high speed turns adjustments.

davehenrie likes this.
  11. KayTup

KayTup Registered

This is great; I tested it shortly today and it already seems to be helping! I'll be able to fine-tune it a lot more in the coming days.

Thanks so much, that's exactly what I was looking for.

davehenrie, Emery and mantasisg like this.
  12. Simonk

Simonk Registered

The RCD has a global line for controlling understeer. You’ll see it near the top and applies to all drivers. Just having this at the default Skip Barber value can give a positive outcome as they will back off if they sense understeer rather than just trying to powering on.

Emery likes this.
  13. Emery

Emery Registered

From the Skip Barber:
    CorneringCaution = 60
    UnderSteerEffectOnThrottleMulti = 125
    UnderSteerEffectOnLineMulti = 55

I have no clue whether to increase/decrease these, but experiments should quickly give you an indication.

Simonk likes this.