Slow-motion until rest of field is away on dedi (zero AI) race restart

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by MileSeven, Jan 26, 2023.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I’m guessing this has been reported in the past but not fixed as another driver on our server last night piped up to say he’d seen it multiple times on his home system where he runs his own dedi.

I initiated a race-restart via chat box commands to our remote dedi server from my rf2 client.

When I was placed on the grid, I noticed that the car was ‘in slow motion’ - revving in neutral could be measured by a calendar rather than by the blink of an eye. The lights turned green and the field were away - and it was a second or two before normal control was returned to me and I could then get away normally.

As I said, another driver online last night has his own dedi server at home that he uses to run AI cars to take the load off his client rig. He says he’s seen this multiple times when (as I understand it) issuing commands to restart.

Any ideas.

2. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Apologies - although my fellow driver routinely races against AI, last nights episode was online with half a dozen human drivers and no AI.

3. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Without wishing to sound flippant: “more than enough”…

This is a rented Windows Server 2019 machine used week-in-week-out with bandwidth that has happily supported three times the number of last nights drivers in the past. My personal client runs on an i9-13600KF with good fibre-to-cabinet 60-ish MB/s broadband and Ethernet (not WiFi) to the router…

Never had this problem before as admin, personally, but we normally run a no-restart policy so no surprises there. The fact that one of our drivers has seen this sufficient times on their home dedi to be able to tell me over the intercom that it should sort itself shortly after the lights go green is telling…

4. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Boing.

This happened to us again this week - but slightly different impact.

I restarted an online race as we had only three drivers on track at the time and one of them fell off on lap 1 - so in the interests of fun, I quit the race myself and executed a ‘Restart Race’.

On the grid, for once I (as administrator) was fine - but the other two drivers reported the ‘slow motion’ bug (revving like wading through treacle) and I could see their car positions drift around slightly. The lights went green and I patiently waited several seconds before the system handed the, back ‘real time’ and off we went with no further issues.

There were no exceptional synchronisation warnings. Server and clients patched up to the latest.

This is another long standing issue with restarts - I believe the FFB initialisation bug still exists to a degree at least too (I still often get a slight nudge through the wheel as the cars are dropped onto the grid after a restart - but occasionally also the complete FFB meltdown that is so dangerous with a DD wheel yet is nothing to do with the wheel itself).

5. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I'm one of the three drivers in that race and I started recording it live when things started going odd.

5 Things you see in the video that were not right.....
    * Synchronisation Message in chat box.
    * The Count down number in chat box was frozen at 22 seconds.
    * The steering input was very laggy, you see me turning my wheel left and right, this was not matching my real wheel.
    * The Start lights turn to green without any warning.
    * The car looks like it is shaking.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  6. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It's synchronizing that does is. If you restart warmup, then go to race, does the same thing happen?

7. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Only restarts.

MileSeven likes this.
  8. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

…and worth reiterating the report from one of our drivers who regularly runs a dedi at home so that he can race against AI without stressing his client machine. He reported that he has seen this a significant number of times (more than most, I guess as the temptation to restart an AI race can be quite high) - and he is obviously running in a very protected environment where his car is the only one remote from the dedi that needs to synchronise (or do all the AIs in his case have to individually synch with his client???)

9. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Happened again. Same situation - restarted a race from the in+game GUI (two other online drivers plus me), get dropped on the grid, slow revving etc. - other two cars got away but I (as admin) couldn’t move off and gain real-time control until 4.5secs or so later.

10. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Still happening. During testing of my new backup home server, I restarted a race (with just AI and myself) mid session and:

a) My DD wheel went wild and I had to e-stop it until the race was underway and,
    B) For my car only, everything happened in slow motion until after the lights had gone green (e.g. it takes several seconds for revs to climb even a few hundred RPM).

If this has anything to do with synchronisation (as suggested), I don’t understand why the race admins car should be the only one affected and why (as in the case of mid-race synchronisation) ‘normal time’ shouldn’t continue.

This really ought to be fixable as it is pretty easy to replicate and has been going on forever.

delapecs likes this.