Slow loading/unresponsive UI

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Jack7793, Jan 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Jack7793

Jack7793 Registered

When I first get to the main menu all the pictures load slowly from top to bottom, the video in the background stops and starts. When I click the settings button the tabs are empty for 5 to 10 seconds. I load a session and the screen you land on in the garage is empty and then everything appears after 5 to 10 seconds. clicking the drive button sometimes doesn't do anything. I tried the replay from the garage screen and every button press takes 5 to 10 seconds to respond. Every new ui version I've tried since it was a thing, this is maybe the 5th time I've used the new ui including the other new ui, has had the same slow, clunky loading problems.

PC specs in my signature and here's a video of me just clicking through the ui after generating a new user data folder.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Run the graphics config tool to ensure your video subsystem is correctly chosen. But I think this may be your system showing it's age. 4gb of Video Ram is on the thin side once you try and load any of the newer Laser Scanned tracks. It should be running much smoother with almost the entire screen loading together.

3. Jack7793

Jack7793 Registered

@davehenrie the specs on my profile information were outdated, I've updated them now. Signature specs are correct. I'll put them here anyway for ease. The correct thing was selected in the config tool, I just double checked it.

CPU: i7 4790k
    GPU: PALIT Nvidia RTX 3050 8GB
    RAM: GSkill Trident 16GB 2400MHz
    Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
    Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 660W Modular
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 870 EVO 1TB
    Screen (TV): LG 42LB561V

@Mangoletsi Hi, I'm using the default Windows 10 antivirus.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Yeah, as @Mangoletsi posted above, your system seems more than capable of handling rF2. I don't have reddit or any of those social media doo-dads, but I did find some threads there (via a browser) that asked one user if the video card was getting enough power. I've been running a 850Watt power supply for as far back as when win 7 was a thing. Try temporarily unplugging any extra power draws, like, can you run rF2 without all three Samsungs running? Do you have a lot of USB devices plugged in? look at reducing your power draw as an experiement to see if the card is starving.

5. Jack7793

Jack7793 Registered

USB devices are mouse, keyboard and a "hub" for my wireless headphones, add wheel and pedals when I use them. I would be extremely suprised is my gpu was starved of power in rF2. If it was, it would be only rF2 that shows that issue. TDP on my gpu is 130 Watts.

I could disable one SSD, nothing else is an extra unnecessary power draw really.

6. Jack7793

Jack7793 Registered

Ok, the slow loading and unresponsive UI I have been having issues with was caused by a speed limiter I use on my internet connection.
    Now why on earth does that affect the loading of a game UI, can anyone explain this?

Internet speed limiter on - slow and unresponsive UI
    Internet speed limiter on with internet disconnected - slow and unresponsive UI
    Limiter off - normal UI
    Limiter off with internet disconnected - normal UI

This has suprised me.

Edit, also thanks @Mangoletsi, you mentioned the web ui port, it made me try what I did.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The UI contains several update-able parts of the main screen which I'm assuming are downloaded whenever there is a new bit of news. So without the internet, or a choked internet, it takes longer to get the downloads completed to show the full menu.

pety100 likes this.
  8. Jack7793

Jack7793 Registered

Ok, I see. Now I can stream live video with the cap I use. Surely I should be able to load rF2's UI. Maybe this is something that got missed and needs looking at I don't know.