Slow Frame Rates on Dell AlienWare M17

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Simon Peace, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

View attachment 461

Im getting some particularly slow frame rates so was interested in what the CPU and Frame rate windows that appear if you press CTRL F twice and CTRL C. (im particularly interested in the top left one.)

If someone could explain what they represent then they might be useful in diagnosing the slow rate of updates... (I know the screen shot has 70 ish fps but I am turning everything off and low etc...) very jerky even though sometimes it states 50fps at the time!?

DX: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz @ 2.20 GHz
    QPC: 2141513 tps
    SRAM: 4044 MB
    OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 (that is 64bit by the way)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
    VRAM: 3264 MB
    DRIVER: 8.17.0012.6764

2. apex

apex Registered

Try disabling Intel SpeedStep in your system BIOS. It's usually not an issue with newer software, but you never know with this being an early beta build. I've had experience in the past with trouble running GPL on a Dell XPS1730. My frame rates were very high, but the game surged and drove slowly and out of time (and ghosting). The problem is that even if you disable it, it may still be affecting the software. It's a known issue with some systems and in the end I had to use a small app that disabled it while running the game. Worked perfectly. Make a note of your CPU load (purple bar at top left, Ctrl+C) before and after to see if it had any effect.

Let me know if this solves your problem. If not, I still have this app and can link it for you if you're interested.

PS. If you're using V-sync try disabling it. This smoothed out some issues for me.

Some tips posted by other users that may help you are; setting your maximum number of pre-rendered frames to 1 or 0 in your nVidia forceware (control panel), and setting Flush Previous Frame to '1' in your PLR file. Good luck.