Skyboxi appear on Treewalls

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Guy Moulton, May 28, 2013.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

A friend of mine is working on converting a track and is having this problem. The skybox keeps appearing on the treewalls and it creates an almost haze-like effect

View attachment 7956

Any suggestions?

2. Banger

Banger Registered

is he using Alpha or chrome channel. to much alpha objects in the same area has the effect of cut each other out. Z-buffering bug.

3. Arnao

Arnao Registered

So I use Vertex Color Alpha 99.9 % with CHROMA check for t0 (ffffff) shader one/zero for SKYBOXI TREEwalls and BillBoard trees...With Only Skyboxi and BBtrees, it doesn't work correctly, my BBtrees was not fully rendered, till I check No Z buffer for Skyboxi...I 've add my treewall with no zbuffer check too it works better, no more track part disapear but got this issue now only with Skyboxi and Treewalls...
    View attachment 7958

Is it a need to have Vertex color at 99.9% with CHROMA check ???? All my test says YES

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  4. Banger

Banger Registered

I mean't chroma not chrome, hehe just clean my motorcycle down... lol

5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Vertex Alpha needs to be at 99.99% (any non-100 value, but as close to 100 as this will trigger some transparency); Chroma needs to be checked in the gTex panel, yes.
    The rest can be pretty much the default settings. I see you have Material Alpha set to 254. Is there any specific reason why you are doing this?

6. Arnao

Arnao Registered

Hi luc,

No there is no specific reason it was a test... But it is same with 255 still have Skyboxi above my treewalls...
    All tree texture are from Belgium 66 I've check how it's configure in 3Dsimed(maybe why 254) but It 's still same PBS ... Treewalls in Outer track are Skyboxy melted and inner track Treewalls are self melted by the opposite side...

7. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Well, if your screenshot is still actual ... the treewalls should NOT have the "No Z Buffer" option enabled. That would simply push them to the back of the Z order no matter what you try, I suppose. Actually, there is nothing out of the ordinary to set up for treewalls. Try using the "Bump Specular Map T1" shader instead of the Stamp Vertex Alpha Test? There's no reason for treewalls to be able to billboard, is there?

BTW, I don't use the 'Alpha Test' shader for BB trees either. Just the basic 'Stamp Vertex' works quite fine for me.

8. Arnao

Arnao Registered

Oups, "Bump Specular Map T1" did the job perfectly...no reason for billboarding !!!!

Thanks a lot Luc

9. Radar

Radar Registered

I'd probably look at making the front row of trees billboarding, the rest not.