Single GTX 680 with 3 monitors & latest builds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adaptable1, Feb 15, 2013.

1. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

What settings have worked for folks using the GTX 680 (4GB) non-SLI with 3 1080p monitors? The latest couple of builds have dramatically improved my ability to up the settings. I now have just about everything on full, but AA on level 4 and shadows on medium. It seems pretty smooth doing solo laps, but in race situations it gets choppy. Anybody have better settings to try?

I have an i7-3770k, 8GB RAM.... Not overclocked.

2. Dale B

Dale B Registered

I have almost the identical setup you have, I7 3770, 16 GIG's of RAM, nothing overclocked, but my video card is only the GTX 660 ti, all I could afford when I was building my machine, jealous of your GTX690. When I ran just a single moniter in rFactor 2 I was getting around 180 FPS, with the triples I'm getting anywhere from 50 - 80 fps. Video drivers were the key for me, I get no stuttering even in a big field, I'm running the 310.90 and like those drivers, had all kinds of problems with the 310.70's though.

3. C3PO

C3PO Registered

He has a single 680.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Worried about performance but you don't even Overclock.

Madness.

SLi GTX660Ti eat a GTX680 for breakfast.

5. coops

coops Banned

aa none.. use aa in nivida control panel
    everything high, shadows low, shadow blur and movies off the rest on.
    fxaa off.. use fxaa in nivida control panel
    16x

6. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

This seems like a good start, but it looks a bit plain to my eyes (Lime Rock) bumping everything from full to high. I put the shadows up to medium and it was an improvement without impacting the performance.

I further tweaked the NVidia Control Panel as follows and it got marginally better maintaining a decent frame rate:

AA - FXAA = On
    AA - Mode = Override
    AA - Setting = 16x CSAA
    Vertical Sync = On

I'll experiment turning up some of the in-game settings individually to see if they can increase the quality while keeping the game smooth.

Are there a similar titles (perhaps a First Person Shooters) that use the same graphics engine as rF2? I've had luck with other titles finding good settings to port over.

7. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

I was able to get significantly better graphics quality and maintain a frame rate that hovered between 35-50 fps by doing some minor overclocking of the graphic card (EVGA K-Boost ON - Power Target 131% - GPU Clock offset +75mhz - Mem Clock offset +400mhz using EVGA Precision).

I was able to use the settings I last posted but then also set Circuit, Opponent, and Texture Detail to FULL while racing with 12 opponents (GTRs, Meganes, and Clios).... all that looked as good or better than a single monitor of Gran Turismo on a PS3.

Would I like a faster rate? Yes, of course, but I'm not willing to fork out any more money at this point given that 35-50 seems completely playable at this point, and I can just turn the Detail down to High and get a frame rate closer to 60+.

8. coops

coops Banned

9. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

I set all of the in game settings to match yours and I get between 45-60 fps turning multiview off. My higher quality settings don't seem like that much of a sacrifice at 35-50 fps.....although I think you are running a slightly lower resolution than I am. I'm running 5760x1080 native bezel corrected to about 6000 x 1080 multiview on.

What are your NVidia settings? Are you overclocking your GPU? If so, at what settings?

10. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

I turned off the overclocking and just left EVGA K-Boast on in the voltage section of EVGA Precision and still got approximately the same performance. Interestingly enough, with rFactor1 I can max out everything and get way above 100+ average fps.

11. rwkeating

rwkeating Registered

adaptable1, I am running 3 monitors with an old video card and an even older analog Triple Head 2 Go. I am in the market for a new video card. Can you tell me (or point me to a link showing) how you are running 3 monitors with only one card? How do you handle the boarders on the monitors since that is yet another issues I have with the analog TH2GO? thanks in advance.

12. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

The newer NVidia GTX680 and above cards can have 3 simultaneous outputs (2 DVI-D & 1 Displayport plus an additional HDMI) specifically for 3 monitor gaming (even in 3D if you have the right monitors). These cards support a feature called "NVidia Surround" that is installed with the GeForce drivers without having to install 2 cards. When you configure surround, there is a bezel correction utility that lets you set higher resolutions to compensate for monitor bezels as well as set a hot key for "peaking" around the bezels if necessary.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-technology.html

I think you can also do surround with lesser cards (GTX 295, GTX590, GTX660) but you need to install 2 or more of them in SLI mode (that's two identical bridged cards) to have enough outputs & use the GPUs on both cards. You can also get one GTX 295 or GTX590 and another cheaper card just for the additional outputs (running in non-SLI mode). I did this on my previous rig, and it was ok for older titles, but rF2 as well as newer sims like RaceRoom, and Project C.A.R.S could only run on very minimal settings.

I like the GTX680 very much. It is less complicated than 2 cards in SLI mode and performs really well. I'm hoping rF2 gets optimized some more for it. I don't want to spring for another one and deal with an SLI configuration and heat issues especially since rF2 is really the only racing sim I play that pushes it hard. I'd probably find a way to trade up to a GTX690 before I put another card in. The good news is that just recently the graphics performance has really improved in rF2.... I'm hoping they can squeeze a bit more out of the software optimization.

Here's a good video review of it for sim racing:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  13. Armando

Armando Registered

The same is true for AMD cards with Eyefinity (all of them in the last generations).
    Only to note that there are more options. :)

14. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Can i ask why you recommend turning AA off in-game and using it from the cpanel?

15. coops

coops Banned

^ i was told you get a fps increase on some tracks i am about 10 fps better off on some tracks.