simple question: how do I get tracks online? ISI, please teach me in plain English

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Guy Moulton, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Sorry if I offended you Duvel, that was offcourse not the intention of the post. I just wanted to point out the info is there.

I am no modder in any way. I host online races for Racedepartment. Thats it. But I did look in those documents (actually, there is only 1 which is relevant), and mastered the techniques within about an hour of reading and trying. So it can't be that hard to do.

It's not complex. It just takes a little time to understand it. I agree that there still is some work to be done. but it's a very potential system. To bad nobody realizes it, as most only think about the sentence "it was more easy with rf1". They only do forget that there where so many issues with rf1 as well, and to avoid those issues, most self respecting communities started working with 3rd party software, like simsync. It basicly does exactly the same as rf2 does. People tend to hold on to the past, which is a bad thing in my opinion.

In simple steps:
    - Create a development folder somewhere on your harddisk.
    - Copy the mas2.exe file from the support folder in your data folder to that created development folder
    - Copy the installed folder from your data folder, into the development folder
    - Copy the manifest folder to the development folder
    - Create the wanted extra folders (MOD, NewMas, stuff like that, whichever you want to use)
    - Copy a .rfm file, and edit the mod name
    - Open the mas2.exe file
    - add the .rfm file, and save it as a .mas file
    - Click on the Pacakge icon (P)
    - Select the .mas file you just created
    - Select a file location for the mod, and add a version number
    - Click on the browse buttons on the right side to add a track
    - Do the same for the vehicles
    - Make sure to UNtick the box before the vehicle and track name
    - Select a track layout (click on it once)
    - Select the cars from the vehicle series you selected
    - Hit the package button below
    - Hit the install button below
    - Open the launcher
    - Go to manage account
    - Click on Create Mod ID
    - Fill in the top section with the name of the mod
    - Click request ID
    - Note down the ID
    - Fill the ID in the section below
    - Enter the version number
    - Go back to the MAS2 file and copy the submit ID in it
    - Submit the mod.
    - Go back to the MAS2 program and hit the INFO button
    - Fill in the MOD ID at the appropriate place
    - Package the mod
    - Distribute the mod to who wants to drive

To set up the server

- Open the launcher and mod manager
    - Install the mod
    - Click on HOST
    - Select the series

Done.

It took me longer to enter this text, then to make 2 new vmods :) It's really simple once you have done it a few times.

I typed this by head, so if someone sees I missed a step, please feel free to supplement :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Duvel

Duvel Registered

thanks for taking the time to post that - 14 pages down to one :)

my worry ends with the "distribute the mod to who wants to drive bit". for an open server it's got me worried (and rf1 is just as bad). There needs to be a really convenient system for "pick up and go" drivers to join a server when they lack the content. Obviously the server pushing all files to the user is never going to work because tracks and mods can be huge. The ideal situation is if isi ran a server to host all this that hooks into the game and downloads it all, but again, i doubt ISI will fund this. The third is an ISI run database that uses the usual methods for hosting (rapidshare, etc) but opens to a mod id page when you lack content on a server (they need to fix the alt+esc crashing first). If it was a very streamlined process with a good web interface, people would find it much easier to find these mods and all content without any need to distribute or to search.

This part really has me concerned, far more than a one off convoluted process for a server admin, which i would reluctantly live with, just can't really live with it knowing potential racers can't join a server easy when i run it, that just sounds as bad as rf1.

A hack job would be to allow a server admin to integrate a web link from the server list in the information tab, which could then be used to point to a post on the net somewhere with all the files you need. I'd be happy with even this if it was clearly labelled and highlighted in the list as what you should do when lacking content.

Correct me if i'm wrong though, still trying to understand how it all works.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  3. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Well, lets keep it realistic.

Tracks and car's are something you have to manually install yourself now with rf1, NKP, Race07 and name all the other simulation games. So, to expect ISI to give a sollution to that issue is not a realistic demand :)

Vmods, the ones I just gave the instruction to create for, are around 7 to 10 Kb. This is surely doable to to have distributed via a hosting server.

So, the sollution is quite simple. Supply 1 button on the client side, which enables to download the mod from the server it is hosting.
    Add a function to the dedicated server to push the mod to the client (JUST the vmod).

Then supply a bit more info on the mod in the server selection screen, so people know where to download their tracks and cars.

The result?

A waterproof system against cheating and client/server mismatches. Combine this with the function to have vmods contain complete skin packs and league information, and the system becomes a huge improvement to any other game around.

People simply forget the reason why this BETA is released. It's for Modders, to test the functions and create content. Not to have a perfect, flawless game on the market now. And it's in humans nature to start flaming around then.

4. Duvel

Duvel Registered

i agree with that system, would work fine for me. They just have to get the usability of the "more info in the server selection screen" very right. My vote is still to externalise this to something on the web - a clean, readable database that shows all the content you need for the mod pack for the server, including track versions numbers, etc. At that point, i guess Google can do the rest.

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

With rf1 you had to have the the track and cars. That's it. Yes, version issues were always a PITA. With rf2 you have to have the track, the cars AND the vmod. Version issues will be no different. I fail to see how this helps to solve any issues with the rf1 system. It's just one more thing to NOT have installed.

Thanks for the tutorial, Marco. That's exactly what i wanted! I'm going to mess around and do this this weekend. Thanks.

6. DocJones

DocJones Registered

+1 Many thanks, Marco. Finally understood how to create a vmod.

7. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

@Guy,
    As soon as you make a change in the files, the submit ID changes, so you cant use the vmod anymore, and can't join the server ;) So no more options with file tweaking ;) Everyone has the same content, same files, and same settings. Thats how it helps.

@Doc,
    Your welcome. It's not hard to do, just take a little time to get to know the system.

1 person likes this.
  8. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Marco.

I think the biggest issue comes from the manual, and that is fine, its all in BETA as you say. A simple area dedicated to creating a vMod would have been more ideal, but like you I figured it out...and I think I was drunk when I started :)

But what are we really testing?

I personally have seen HEAPS of advantages with the MODID system...but also a few negatives that will see the end of rF2.

When the last update happened and mods didnt work (as you can expect with a BETA) I made a point by walking an ISI representative into admitting that this system will be confusing for the average user. It is, period.

The actual creation of the vMod, as you have pointed out, isnt that bad once you do it a few times etc. By including content in the vMod it make distribution for leagues easier, mod teams will be more organised, it encourages cooperation and incorporation of other peoples work without modifying it...it is genuinely great.

But without addressing the issue of infromation at a server level (that is all it needs, more would be nice but it only needs the information) pretty much the MODID system is pointless.

I have asked what is the goal over and over again. Only to be given no answer time and time again. All I am after is where ISI plan to get it to, because honestly, if they didnt have an idea before releasing the BETA, well its already over. I believe they had/have/still have a clear direction they want to head, but by keeping us "testers" in the dark...well it kind of gets frustrating.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ds-(or-ours)-yet?p=54649&viewfull=1#post54649

That post sums it up for me right there. They saw the problem with "confusion" as the bug created with the last update...no the bug highlighted the issue with the confusion.

I was testing the beejazus out of rF2, along with some mates who are working on a mod. I was testing ebmedding viruses within the mas files to see if AV programs could detect them (fun result that, should try it yourself), I was testing the Mod dev area, the MAS creation files, UI creation, skins...etc etc...I didnt really care too much for playing the game at this point, but the potential in the physics is MINDBLOWING. But this lack of direction has seen me and others I know...stop. None of us have bothered even loading the game for about 1 month. No point.

ISI are giving us the impression that everything is fine, when it really isnt. Without that simple effort of information at the server level....well rF2 is already dead.

So I too hold out hope that something will change, but until I have some clear dirction of where it is actually heading, I am a bit frustrated on what I should be testing. I have never asked for content information, release dates, update contents or anything, just an idea of where they intend this system to finish up at.....I dont care if it takes years...but where do they see this MODID/Packaing system being at the end...?

9. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hate to bring up an old quote but I didnt see this till now.

What you say about everyone having same content, etc. is great, but rF2 doesnt need vmods to do this. Vmods are good for combining cars from different mods, but you definitely shouldnt need a vmod just to use a track.

I think ISI were short-sighted when they thought up the whole vmod thing. Yep works great when you have 5 cars and 7 tracks, but look how silly it got when 1 or 2 addon tracks got released lol. Sure organized leagues and/or comunitys will always be fine with this system, but I feel sorry for any new guy/gal that buys the game and wants to try some public onlines.

woo look i can get some nice addon tracks :D
    hmm I cant use them :(
    hmm if I download this vmod I can use my new tracks :)
    hmm do I really have to download these 23 bogus tracks just to go online with the 3 I like. :confused: