Sim Racers 4 Life - Multi-Classics Season - Round 1 - Road America

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by gorgias1976, May 30, 2016.

1. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

[​IMG]

Sim Racers 4 Life welcomes you to Season 8 of our Historic's League.
    This season we race a multi-class league. 4 classic cars will take part in it: Eve F1, Spark F1, Matra V12 and the BT20. You must choose one and race it for the whole season. As always the most important here is having fun in every race.
    This opening round will take place in Road America. Complex and challenging, it's very easy to end up on the grass and crasing here. Can you take the challenge?

SR4L wishes you good luck for the season.

Official Season 8 Calendar
    Jun 5th - Road America
    Jun 19th - Rouen Les Essarts
    Jul 3rd - Montecarlo
    Jul 17th - Silverstone Legends GP 1975
    Jul 31st - Macau
    Aug 14th - Nordschleife
    Aug 28th - Mosport
    Sep 11th - Brianza or Brianza 10km 1hour 2x points race

Race day Information

2 x 13 laps
    Race 2 Reverse Grid (Top 10 finishers)

5th June 2016

16:25 GMT (17:25 BST - 18:25 CET - 12:25 EST)
    120 minute practice
    18:25 GMT (19:25 BST - 20:25 CET - 14:25 EST)
    30 minute qualifying
    19:00 GMT (20:00 BST - 21:00 CET - 15:00 EST)
    --7 minute warmup--
    race 1 - 13 laps
    --7 minute warmup--
    race 2 - 13 laps

1 mandatory pitstop must be done every race with all four tires changed.

Track:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/o8r98vp5u6gttfp/SCES_Road_America13.rfcmp
    Cars:
    Eve - http://www.mediafire.com/download/gjk3my1mv3197ha/ISI_EVE_Historics_1968-v150.rfcmp
    Spark - http://www.mediafire.com/download/7d8zm5r1nfziywl/ISI_Spark_Historics_1968-v150.rfcmp
    Matra V12 - https://mega.co.nz/#!ShJ0WZAL!8wCfN6i_ORMF1UPhHNHm2ts6Vi5PEKBaGLSCq393qj4
    BT20 - http://www.mediafire.com/download/pg1c8rtd1y46m18/ISI_Brabham_BT20_1966-v1.60.rfcmp
    rfmod (in case getmod doesn't work):
    ...to be announced...

Server Settings

Server name: !SR4L Server 1
    Fuel usage: Normal
    Tyre wear: Normal
    Damage: 50%
    Auto Clutch on

Weather forecast in Road America for Jun 5th at race time (will be periodically updated until race day)

[​IMG]

-Skies: overcast
    -Humidity: 70%
    -Temperature: 21ÂșC
    -Wind: 16km/h from West

Note:
    Please read our "Sim Racing Etiquette" post http://www.simracers4life.com/index.php?topic=828.0
    Please read our "Members Expectations" post http://www.simracers4life.com/index.php?topic=70.0

Don't hesitate in joining Sim Racers 4 Life http://www.simracers4life.com

Please check this post periodically for posible changes.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Looking forward to this. Finally my favourite rf2 cars again :)

3. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Come join, all competence levels welcome (well, they accept me, so...)

5. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I run the Eve F3s offline and have gotten to where I can run a 15-lap race without spinning or crashing, so I said to myself "Self," said I, "This might be interesting." I don't race online because I'm pretty poor (bad enough that my dog wouldn't roll in me if my racing were a spot in the grass). And I run Road America a lot. So I thought I might be okay to give it a try. I hopped into an Eve F1 and I couldn't keep it on the track. The hardest thing was trying to run without ABS-low. I have some foot pain because I'm getting old and as most Americans have diabetes and trying to run with non-ABS is impossible. The feel is just not there to be able to do that any more. Heel and toe is something I'll never be able to do. For me, it was like running in the rain on hard racing tires. Perhaps some handicapping might be in order some day for online.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

Turn down the braking force so they don't lock. Garage, Advanced, Max Pedal Force. You won't be able to brake as early, but at least you won't be locking them up and pedal feel is pulled out of the equation. More practice laps, too!

7. Riverside

Riverside Registered

I was encouraged to see there may be other drivers like me! ;) so I tested a couple cars offline and loved them.

But, tried to register at your forum, several times, and never got confirmation email so I am still outside...

knock, knock!...

8. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Hi Riverside,
    I'll tell Paul (admin) to see if something crashed at the server. Check your "spam" folder in your mail in case the reply would have been there.

9. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

To avoid the heel and toeing try driving in auto-clutch, it's allowed in our servers. Don't worry about being slow, we don't ask drivers in our leagues to do a determined laptime, we only ask them to have fun in the events.

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Whatever, join the race with the password thats posted at race announcement at site
    http://www.simracers4life.com/index.php?topic=1483.0
    and we will sort the registration afterwards.

They are terribly difficult cars, overpowered, underbraked and snappy.

I find I better my laps enormously when I anticipate their lack of brakes by braking very early, and, lap by lap I grow more confident and throw the car in the bend controlling it with throttle.

Yesterday I joined the server with a 2:20 and after some few laps I was doing 2:16, mainly when I got over my fear that BRAKES DONT WORK!!

I know 2:16 is awfully slow for many, but I was feeling pretty smug for a 4secs progress after just some laps.

11. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Also when the track is green, the tires lock very easily. When the rubber is built you can press hard the pedal without fear of losing half the tire on the tarmac.

12. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I turned it down to 90 immediately, which is fine on the F3s for me. I'll try taking it down a ridiculous amount to get an idea of the difference and try to find a balance. I'm never quite sure, though, how the Max Pedal Force interacts with the G27 in-game garage settings (where you can set the curve and the min/max). Do you have any insight with how those work together?

13. Emery

Emery Registered

The controller settings are independent of the car setup. Changing the controller settings changes it for all cars. You want the controller to have a full range and then, depending on your feel, you set the sensitivity curve (e.g. I use 75% sensitivity with my modded G25 pedals so the last section of travel, where the Nixim rubber slows pedal travel, it has the most effect).

The car's braking force & brake balance you adjust to avoid unexpected brake lockups and spins. It can vary depending on other suspension choices and personal preferences. It is like setting the range of the controller so it never reaches max, but only for the vehicle setup you're working with.

14. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

2:16!!!!!! Well, it's obvious I have no business doing any online racing. The best I could muster after several hours was 2:34 with a lot of 2:40s. That's without spinouts. I'll just phone in my last place position right now and save everybody the time.

15. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

You could try a conservative setup, low power value, high coast value, hard springs to help the car from wandering, soft rear ARB to get a little more grip there.....

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I think then you are doing it all wrong Im afraid.
    Take off all aids so you can trully feel what the car is doing, perhaps let auto-clutch as it doesnt really matter (I h-shift but use auto-clutch so I left brake - much easier than it sounds) and I bet you will be tons faster after some practice.

Put your wheel at maximum rotation in Logitech controller and press the button in game that allows game to decide about rotation and forget about it.

BTW when you choose Eve F1, press the TUNING tab and choose from there the F1B configuration, the winged one, its much more stable.

17. Eddy

Eddy Registered

And just join server no matter how fast or slow you are. On practice day there are always lots off helpfull people online. Just say hi and tell them your problems or ask for a setup.

18. jjcook

jjcook Registered

you can do 240 and race with us , if you can do that without crashing you may also finish ahead of some of us :)

19. billyblaze

billyblaze Registered

clearly you have a desire to race online, so i say go for it!!!....as Eddy says there are people who can help you with questions regarding technique or setup.....all you do is say "hey guys i'm struggling here, anybody have a setup?"....i guarantee someone will come through...some of these guys are so good at setting up the car you might find it drives a lot easier...even with the times you run if you are able to finish the race past experiences prove you probably will not finish last as there are always several DNF's in almost every online race (even with damage turned off)....damage will be on and a pitstop is required so anything can happen out there....as long as you respect the blue flag no one will have a problem with you being there.....besides even if you were running on pace racing online is a completely different thing than offline - you need experience to deal with the higher adrenaline rate (and consequent sweating:p)- obviously you won't get that by watching....btw if you feel more comfortable in the F3's we race every Saturday night on F3 Fanatics - a completely fun series with no damage, no points, no pressure, and no worries....great way to get your feet wet.....GO FOR IT!!!

20. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

By day I am a unix admin doing Solaris so muddling through poor and confusing documentation is something with which I am way too familiar. But figuring out how things work on the website to do this race is incredibly confusing. It's like in the old days when I worked with IBM hardware. The only people who could understand IBM manuals were people who didn't need those manuals in the first place. When I registered, I got an email to activate my account. Following that took me to a webpage with instructions. The first was something about going to the home page, doing something and waiting. I went to the home page and couldn't figure out what was needed, so I decided to go back to the instructions. Sorry, there is no page to go back to...it's gone. I can't find it again. So I have no idea what I'm supposed to do next. Can't retrace steps from the activation email because that just gets the response that you've already activated the account. I looked in the help forum and what I see there is a response that the registration/activation/whatever stuff is outdated and don't worry about it. There's a box on the main page that shows the server with Road America. There's a join button in it. Clicking the join button takes me to a blank page. So I look up the server on RF2 and find it. There's a join button there, too, but it's inactive. So maybe I needed to do something with my profile. Nope. Profile for that user can't be found. For the next new person who comes along and is thinking about joining, it might be nice to have a prominent link on the home page that he/she can click to understand how to use the site and what they're expected to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2016