Sidecars

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Woodee, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Does this rF2 engine have any potential to mod sidecars?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Now that would be awesome, if it did....

3. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Sidecars were possible with rF1 already, though the complex driver animation wasn't possible. Anyhow now as the animations got improved it's may possible now. Just some ideas: The animated driver body should be a joined mesh of driver and co-driver. All animations connected to driving movements will be used for both drivers. For example if the driver turns his hands do one steering direction, the co-driver should move his body to the same side.
    Nevertheless this is just the animation side. The shifting of weights by the co-driver are a totally different thing. I guess this is currently impossible :(

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

In order for a sidecar to truly work it would need a movable center of mass... I still think that is not possible in this sim. The passenger will only move on cornering, but not always on steering.

5. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

You asked for a potential...that's the potential the game has :D Animationwise the co-driver will move while steering...so previously to any corner there will be no visual movement. This for example is one animation the MotoGP or Superbike games have (while braking into a corner the driver already moves his knee towards the center of the corner).
    So a solution for this would be additional buttons for (co-)driver movements and shift of mass due to co-driver own center of mass. But all of these won't be possible with the engine right now (at least as far as I know). Though the driver animations can be edited already and therefore a co-driver too (synchronous animation of steering and body movement of the co-driver). Physic-wise the sidecar just can work like a car currently. Anyhow there was a simple sidecar for rF1 already and even without the animations this was great fun.
    At this point I only can remind you again that rFactor is still a car simulation game. Adding bike physics (in every aspect) isn't simple...if it would be, ISI would certainly have done this before. So what modders can do is using the available features and make the best they can. And I guess my aforementioned ideas aren't far away from what is possible already :D

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Now... I had a thought. If there is a facility for DRS which is activated by the user and changes the car physics (by taking away downforce), why couldn't this work for a movable passenger? Pressing the DRS button and instead of animating a wing, it could move the passenger from one place to another, not sure if there could be a transition. Could the weight distribution change when this happens?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The DRS settings are part of the rear wing definitions in the HDV, and only define the downforce change and the delays (graphical and physical) when toggling DRS. You can't make arbitrary changes with it.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

damn