Share Transparent Trainer .ttl Files?

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by Deadpedal, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

Is it possible to share Transparent Trainer .ttl files? It might be an alternate one on one challenge when friends can't find a mutual time and server to hook up on. Or a way to help a noob friend to get up to speed. Being that .ttls are rather small files, I suspect they may work in conjunction with the HOTLAP.vcr file.

2. whitmore

whitmore Registered

It is a pity that no one has replied to this idea. I too think it would be a great teaching library to build up. I f I had any decent laps to share I would put them here now unfortunately I am still in learning mode.

Great idea deadpedal hope some experienced drivers will come on board to help us out.

3. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

It should be fairly easy for a couple of friends to experiment with this. I've never got around to it.

First, you and a friend should agree on a specific car and track with which to do an experiment.
    Both of you should turn on Transparent Trainer and set it to "Best".
    Note: Delete any existing .ttl created before or during an online race with the chosen car and track (see the file path below). For me at least, the transparent trainer will not show up after an online race until the .ttl is deleted (a bug?).

You should do the following:
    Start a single player practice session
    Run some good hotlaps to create a transparent trainer file.
    From a Windows explorer view, navigate to your ...\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\[track name]\folder and identify the .ttl file for the car you were driving.
    Right click and choose "Send to" and then "Mail recipient" and send it on to your friend.

Your friend should:
    Open the email you sent him, right click the attached .ttl file and choose "Save as..."
    Navigate to his equivalent...\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\[trackname] folder
    Confirm save as and replace any existing file that is similarly named (if he wants to keep his own, he should back it up elsewhere before this operation)
    Start a single player rF2 practice session with the same car at the same track. If the files are sharable, he should be able to chase your fastest lap.
    When (or if) he's beat it, the game will over-write the .ttl with his fast lap and he can turn the file around and send it to you to beat.

Sharing the .svm setup file from the same folder would again be a very good teaching aid. Sharing or not sharing the .svm for the hot lap could be part of the challenge.

Make it interesting $$.
    Set a time limit for how long it will take to beat the previous time, (1 day, 1 week or whatever).
    Whoever fails to beat the lap time in the the allotted time frame sends the other $10.
    (First guy to become a flaming ball of fire loses.) :p