Shadow settings in rF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Backmarker, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

When I have shadows turned on in the game they will flicker and shimmer and look very bad so I end up turning shadows to OFF. I'm guessing this has something to do with my PC or game settings. What are you guys using for Shadow settings?
    Intel i5 processor and 8GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX670card with 2GB memory

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I think even on high the shadows may be "problematic."

3. msportdan

msportdan Banned

i run max with a fast blur, its still not a sharp image.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Backmarker
    You should/could set shadows on max!..............If this is your priority. If not: You have to live with this.
    By the way: What track?

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

They flicker usually to some degree due to the light source moving. I don't think I've seen many games where they don't (including GTAV). It will be better with better settings in high/quality, but unless you set time to not advance, or realtime, it'll happen... Unless you're taking about an actual graphics issue, which a video would help with.

6. INTEL48

INTEL48 Registered

posibly LOD settings for the object as well

7. INTEL48

INTEL48 Registered

posibly LOD settings for the object as well.....or texture default is 256, may need to be 1024

pc I have is AMD 8 core 4.7gig 32 gig 2400 ram, and 3 x 980gtx sli, screen res 2960x 5260 200hz single super HD monitor, I have no issues with any track and shadows disappearing/flickering

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2015
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I just started a thread about this exact issue a couple of days ago...

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/24928-Are-shadows-the-last-barrier

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Peter, I don't think shadows or shadow quality to max will fix the issue. As Tim stated, it's just the nature of many games including big-budget mainstream ones. I think it's because you're so low in the car and looking at the shadows almost horizontally if you know what I mean. If you go to a high cam and look down then everything looks great.

EDIT: Is this what you're talking about? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOyDyeBqNAs If so then I thought you were talking about something else ("crawling" and aliasing from shadows far-up ahead of you on track). Ya, I have notice the same thing in the video quite often.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Just to clarify, you're talking about the stripes visible, right?

11. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

View attachment 16950

Yes, it was the realtime movement setting. iirc, the default was 5x or 10x time setting. I set it to NONE and all is well!
    thanks!!
    :)

12. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

my shadows now look fine (see above post). however, I did notice some flickering/aliasing issue (?) with the shadows only when I use the TV camera-view in replay. If I am in replay and switch to any other camera view or car view the shadows look fine. This is not a big issue for me and it could be an aliasing issue with my computer settings.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If I'm not mistaken, I think Backmarker is talking about the shadows from the suspension. You can see it from the rear suspension's shadow the instant he goes to 3rd person cam, and then same with the front a second or so later. They (the shadows from the suspension) kind of look like they flash and flicker or something - probably due to the sped-up time like you mentioned.