Shaders affect phisics ? - 2 textures on one mesh physics still work ?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jameswesty, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Does the shader change the physics properties of the object ?

In the case that you have one mesh with two textures say one was grass and the other was road does the engin still calculate the grip properly from the texture ? or does each serfice typ need to be a separate mesh?

Thanks again !

2. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

each surface type needs to be a separate material, not mesh, and the material needs to be an entry from the .tdf (you can make new ones if you need)

But no, the shader directly doesn't alter physics properties.

3. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

It detects the different surfaces through the material names, which are listed in the track's TDF file. Take a look at the Joesville TDF and the track piece from the Tutorials thread :) .
    So no, they don't need to be a separate object.

4. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

when i load the max file for joesville it runs at 3fps so its hard to use as a guide , I'm not sure why.

I am using another persons track as an example and have built quit allot of anemometry and textured it with materials and it seems to run ok in max.

5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

That's because it cant find the textures. when you open that project in max, it will say its missing textures, follow the prompts and add in the path to where the textures are. Or reload every texture one by one.

[ED] the textures it will be looking for will be in the Joesville folder in moddev, you will have to extract them from the mas.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012