Shader for framed windows

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SPASKIS, Nov 21, 2013.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Hi everybody. I am finishing the main building of the kart track I am modelling. I wonder if there is a specific shader for making framed windows with cube map. I am looking for a shader that reflects the glass but not the frame in the same texture (or with less specularity at least) using alpha channel. I would imagine that there is a specific shader for this but I have very few knowledge about shaders.

The tests I have done trying 3dsimed available shaders make the frame transparent instead of modulating the reflectivity.

I tried also using two complementary textures on coincident faces but doesn't look well in the transition edges, especially at far distance.

I know that I can split the windows into two materials but
    I would appreciate if someone can provide any guide about shaders with some examples explaining what each shader is typically used for. Thanks in advance.

enviado mediante tapatalk

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Only have a minute right now, so ... the shader you're looking is probably Bump Cube Specular Map Add Alpha Reflect T1 (or Specular Reflect depending on your needs). Make sure the blends are set to One and Zero. This means the window will not be transparent. If you need the glass to be transparent as well, you'll have to split the reflectivity and transparency between two textures (Specular Reflect for instance :) ).

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I'm using 'Bump Cube Add Color Reflect T1 T2' for my windows. T1 is the diffuse map, T2 is basically the "alpha" for the cubemap.

Here's my settings (T1 on top, T2 below):
    [​IMG]

Here's how it looks in-game (tough to see reflections in a still-image, but it's obviously lighter).
    [​IMG]
    View attachment 10879
    View attachment 10881

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered