Settings Logitech G25

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by colinL, Jul 6, 2016.

1. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I think the main problem with recommendations, is that they are just that. Fat chance when ISI recommends settings for your wheel of choice, you've already set it up to your liking beforehand. Therefore it is possible the recommended settings feel worse than your own, if anything, a recommended set of settings/values is only a starting point to tweak those to what you want.

It would be so awesome if there was only 1 brand and type of wheel, everybody had the same, you had not a single setting to change, and the wheel directly did what the car outputs, nothing inbetween. No messing with drivers, profiles, user preferences, no nothing, it is what it is and you and everybody else deal with it. It's never going to happen, but to me it does sound pretty good ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2016
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you're still overthinking this.

The steering column torque is calculated within the game, based on the tyre(s) interaction with the track and how those forces come up through the suspension and steering geometry, and the connection between the steering column and the steering rack. This is all purely in the physics engine, no FFB settings are involved at all.

That final steering column torque is then scaled according to the car parameters (if the car has a nominal max of 15Nm, and the current torque is 7.5Nm, that's 50%).

Finally, that percentage gets output as FFB. If you log steering torque and FFB output together (my DAMPlugin can do it, you can use other tools as well) you'll see a 1:1 correlation between the two.

So you're right that there is zero allowance for different controller characteristics, and no ISI guidelines on what settings should be used, but the raw FFB output has no bias in it. That's obviously a good thing for us, because we only need to try and work out how best to use our wheels; we aren't trying to 'undo' what ISI has done with the FFB to then work with it, it's already raw.

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Even if you put steering torque sensitivity to, let's say, 2 you get a 1:1 correlation?

What happens for other variables in controller.json such as piano settings?
    Do they directly affect to steering shaft torque?

If so, that and other parameters are affecting FFB calculation. And the 1:1 correlation would mean nothing since what you call a raw calculation is clearly being affected by controller.json variables some way or other. Unless you know how steering torque at the steering column is calculated you cannot affirm what you did.

I'll download your tool and make some tests myself. It is pretty clear for me that if there are parameters governing FFB in the controller.json there is no way that we are being given a raw calculation of FFB.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

To use center spring is one of the most worse things you can do...

5. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

This discussion has been going on a VERY long time and covers everything you need for your wheel. I agree, with any g25 style weaker wheel rf1 with leos plugin and realfeel were epic and show how it can be done. The point of ffb is simply to help allow the driver to "feel" what the car is doing. Granted, rf2 ffb is as real as it gets, IF you have a high end wheel. This discussion is for those that don't and for rf2 this is covered adinfinitum in the below thread. What is missing is the subtle feedback the reelfeel and leos plugin provided in rf1 for the low end wheel user IMO.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19034-Guide-Optimal-FFB-settings-for-rFactor-2-The-key-to-being-in-the-Zone-D

6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I just want to know what is the ISI recommended profiler for each wheel. For the controller.json parameters I don't need any further recommendation since ISI is already providing a default controller. We may not agree with all its values but they did for sure provide a starting point.

If I mentioned some controller.json values was just to reply to lazza who claimed that rF2 was providing raw calculated FFB based on a 1:1 correlation between FFB and steering torque.

In the thread you point at (which for sure I was aware of), the OP suggests the following profiler values. I would like to know if ISI agrees on those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

7. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

isnt the point of having options is because ffb can be tailored to suit anyone with any wheel more or less, isi gave us defaults for each wheel, its upto you to sort the rest out until your comfortable with it, i literally tested things for years and eventually i only get the experience i want when i enable centre spring to above 20%, most people will say omg thats sooo wrong, but tbh i dont really care its how it feels to me that matters.

8. stonec

stonec Registered

You would be better off just increasing overall forces (FFB multiplier) if the wheel feels too "weak", even if it produces clipping. Centering spring means you will always get a certain amount of centering effect, even when the car is standing still on the ground, which doesn't simulate any kind of real steering system with either power steering or not.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You're jumping into the middle of a discussion about what settings ISI was using when tuning the controller.json files for each controller. The answer is it doesn't matter, because the FFB isn't getting tuned by the controller.json files because they aren't different regarding those settings.

Rumble strip pull, impact force, maybe another one or two, might be different in some of the files, and assuming they are active (I think I've read some of the settings leftover from rF1 no longer work, I can't say for sure) they will of course have an effect on FFB output. That's what they're there for. Are they a factor in how the overall FFB 'feels'? I don't think so, canned effects like that are separate to the flavour of the FFB. (anyway, I think they're also consistent through nearly all the files)

STS, yes, of course it affects FFB. But STS is 1.0 in every supplied controller.json file.

Please keep comments in context.

If you'd like to identify the controller.json variables that affect FFB as a whole (not just when hitting a rumble, or hitting a fence/car; I'm talking stuff that affects what forces you feel when you're in a corner, the stuff that people are trying to tune with all the custom FFB settings) and want to point out where they're different in different controller.json files, please feel free. Actually I'd be interested to know exactly which controller.json settings still affect FFB, if you'd like to compile a list.

*Oh, and one more:

Are you suggesting controller.json files are applied to the steering torque?

**Sorry, ignore this last part. Guilty of taking something out of context myself; you were saying this under the assumption that the steering shaft torque incorporates some of the controller.json settings, based on the incorrect interpretation of what I was saying (about 1:1 correlation)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
  10. stonec

stonec Registered

Agree, the Controller.JSON settings should not affect the fundamental FFB forces (except for the obvious steering torque multiplier ones). I remember ISI dev stated somewhere that their FFB code is very simple, all it basically does is output the forces that the sim computes to the wheel, there is nothing much going on in between. Nothing basically needs to be "tuned" aside from the clipping point and the minimum torque. Some people are still living in rF1 era where every canned setting needed to be adjusted separately.

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I`m jumping, too ;) I`m just wondering, if there is any value/setting, to reduce the curb bumping/rattling? I know, i can use the smoothing slider, but besides this?

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm pretty sure there's nothing specific to kerbs to reduce the harshness (the pull I mentioned earlier is just that; a constant pull towards/away from the kerb. Curiously the G25 profile has this on 0 while all other profiles have 1.5 or something, but I haven't confirmed it actually still does something). There's an offroad multiplier but again I don't know if that still works and whether it applies to kerbs.

Sometimes the fact rF2 is increasingly a simulation of your virtual car interacting with a physical world means we lose some flexibility (bit like flatspots, which are intrinsically linked to tyre wear - can't have one without the other).