server to keep lap times displayed even if a driver disconnects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hoping to host & allow server to run for a few days at a time ( over a whole weekend for example )

currently the best lap times disappear as a player leaves a server

be great if the laptimes continue to be displayed this will make for good hotlap competitions
    where drivers can logon & off as they pleased

not interested in messing with 3rd party apps ( my pals will not entertain it )

hopefully its a simple fix

big thanks

2. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

Just link your server with LiveRacers and you can keep track of lap times there. ;)

Example of REVS here.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks

But the people I know that should be getting into rf2 on vr release will not be interested in apps & plug-ins
    They'll just not bother & continue on with iracing

I think it will be an easy fix fir devs to stop the laptimes deleting off the list (on driver leaving server)

To be honest I don't want to fiddle either I just want to load up & drive

Cheers anyway

4. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

Then you need to be patient and hope such a service will be included in the new interface.

5. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Unless the session is changed laptimes are kept!
    You should configure a very long practice session which needs to be done when defining the vmod if I am not wrong. You cannot configure it when opening the server.
    By the way, hopefully, when the new UI is released the limitation of 165 minutes will be removed letting the user to enter any value manually.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

To my knowledge if someone left the server then their laptimes would also disappear , as if they were never there in the first place

Yes the session limit should also be not limited, I intend to leave a practice server up fri to Sunday night. ( hot lap comp etc )
    But only possible if laptimes stay & can make a session last that long

Ps without plug-ins or reprogramming code etc zero interest in these things as we prefer to accumulate track time/practice ,
    We don't consider racing until many weeks of practice etc

Rfactor2 needs to loose the slapstick - jump in & have a crash up (or spoil what could be a sensible race for others ) , little things like my suggestion will help imo

7. Comante

Comante Registered

Expanding a bit from it, it could be fun and useful if you could pick the best lap of another driver and use it for your ghost car... to try to beat it or to learn from it.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

gosh Comante,
    yes that would be really great, that would add another positive to a hot lap weekend
    not sure if this would be a big job for the devs though? I guess the server would have to keep the leaders (or all?) hot laps
    for anyone to download at any time

this type of event is great to make people practice and learn how to clean lap with a decent competitive time,
    its just a simple yet can be very enjoyable session where anyone can join at anytime look at the laptimes and compete
    rfactor 2 has always lacked this IMO

ps in real life I run to keep fit and we have strava sections around the city and do the same thing -compete against each other on a leaderboard, in sim racing we do it on the practice servers in iracing -they update the hotlap ranking list all automatically

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  9. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Like someone said, liveracer is the best way to do it
    And only the server has to install it and setup it. The player dont need to install anything

Adrianstealth likes this.
  10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

most people dont visit forums or even want to fiddle with patches or plug ins, it will not be me that will be hosting each time
    although I'll be setting peoples routers up , just one little thing with the plug-in and it will all be over

I'm really hoping the change will be standard within rfactor 2 ...just simply keeping the lap times displayed no matter who leaves/joins

11. McFlex

McFlex Registered

And i on the other hand doesn't want the laptimes to be stored. Changing weather conditions and grip levels makes it impossible to compare laptimes over a bigger timeperiod.
    But as someone said. If you configure your server in a "testday session" (30h) and pause it when no player is present than your laptimes are stored over 30h of the session time.

So i would suggest, instead of making wishes about "features" which are allready in the game just play around with the settings in the player/multiplayer.json and you wil find out that there are allready a lot of features

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes of course already thought of this but for this type of event the track state will be fixed

ps yes I checked the files a long time ago ( which of course was before this request ) and found nothing that would make this request possible but a mighty big thanks for your suggestion how ever obvious it is

PS - server will be running on a dedicated machine and will not be supervised to pause etc

13. Comante

Comante Registered

Yes, liveracers is very useful and fun, but it still depend on the will of the server admin to use it, and to the player to know where to look to find it, more than this, with the issue many people have with ALT-TAB , exiting a session to check the browser is always a bit sweaty. Having all you need to enjoy a game INTO the game, is not asking for the moon. Other than this, the chance to use another player as a ghost car is not easily implementable without direct involvment of the developer, and it's a feature that can make being alone on a online server a profitable time, and could help populate quick races and so on.
    I understand that a laptime is relative reference because track condition CAN change, but admin can decide if and how much the condition change, so, this can be still useful. Other than this, there nothing worse for joy and satisfaction, to sweat on a track to lower your time, convince yourself that you have been quite good, then see someone popping into the server, making a lap or two, make you time pale, and then vanishing because you are not game for him. With some reference as we suggested it would be simply time better spent.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Shame live racers can't be integrated as a standard rfactor 2 feature, but that would perhaps be a lot of dev work

In any case as rfactor2 is as of now the lap times simply not vanishing when a user disconnects would be brill

15. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Settings in multiplayer.json to achiev what you want.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks mcflex

Does this then keep laptimes for all users as they connect ?
    E.g. Anyone can connect at any point during the weekend & look at the top laptimes (of people no longer on server )

Ps other users will not make these changes or any changes in their confit files so this is not a good option in the event is anyone else hosts the server there needs to be a change at Dev stage

17. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Ahh. Now I got what you want :D. Sry. No. This just keeps/shows your own laptime and the laptimes of all drivers connected to the server at the moment. :p

Adrianstealth likes this.
  18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

darn it, yes I was pretty sure it had to be done by a Dev, We've tried in the past with no luck

19. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I would not dismiss TOCA2FREAK's idea of using 'LiveRacers'
    If you were to set up that and use a 2nd plug-in called `Welcome Message plugin' you could also get the server to message drivers entering with the link to the laps with it. See here https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/welcome-message-plugin.30954/
    Clicking on the LiverRacers link from within the game opens up a browser with the lap times. Closing the browser the game returns.
    The drivers do not need to install any plug-ins, only you the host needs to.

TOCA2FREAK likes this.
  20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think just the suggestion in the welcome message would make them disconnect lol

Thanks but a lot of people that mainly usually use iracing want to mess around a zero amount & just practice etc