Server questions

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by xracer, Oct 17, 2012.

1. xracer

xracer Registered

Hi,
    I have 2 PC's behind a router and when i host on the same PC which i play on i can connect externally (not Local mode which btw works most in every situation). But what i wanted to see was to use the other PC as a host for the server and my primary PC to play. When i do that config then i can only connect Locally. Other players can connect from outside, but the difference is that i can't get into the game without the local mode. I did change the IP in the router to match with opening ports for the IP which has the host, but only local mode then hosting on the other PC.

Does anyone know what can cause this?

2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Assuming you changed all router settings correctly I think it would must be something on the other PC like software firewall.

You can also try to change back the settings on the router so the server will work on your primary PC. Then instead of changing settings on the router, just switch the IP of the PCs so your secondary PC has the IP of the primary PC and vice versa. Then the hosting should work. Or you can be pretty sure it is something on the software side (again firewall, or some rf2 host setting that is different on that PC).

3. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

If you are hosting on the same network (behind a router) you WANT to join in local mode, otherwise you will not see other cars. It sounds like it's working just fine to me.

4. xracer

xracer Registered

Yes i guess local is the best option to save bandwidth too, but as i said i can host and play while connecting externallyon one of the PC's and i wondered why that doesn't work on the other. Firewalls/ports are not the problem i've checked, but one difference is that the PC that works has the payd for RF2 on it while the other i just copied over so all is greyed except possiblillity to host.

5. canastos

canastos Registered

It sounds normal to me that you have to select Local when you host on your second PC, for me, the odd fact is that you would be able to connect when you're hosting on the same PC, without selecting Local

byyyyyyyye

6. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

You are worried about nothing xracer. Others can join via your external/WAN IP as they should and you are joining locally as you should. Nothing to worry about.

7. xracer

xracer Registered

yeah ok i have stopped worrying :)

Thanks anyway!