Server issues

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by StrawmanAndy, Apr 13, 2015.

1. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

I can't join servers, the button "race" doesn't always light up on some servers, and I have the correct build and all the mods etc. It is confusing, my connection isn't great but nor is it terrible. I can join on other games (AC/GSCE) so it's slightly odd why rF2 blocks me from joining servers.

Any help is helpful and welcome, thanks!

Edit: I've also had this issue on the older builds too - it's not just happened on the new 946 build.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  2. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

I'm no expert but have you checked the port forwards? I had similar issue and it was because I hadn't forwarded the HTTP port. Might be worth a try?

3. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Shouldn't really need to open ports just for the client,that's more for servers.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

StrawmanAndy, my understanding is you can join some servers but not others. One the servers you cant join, what happens? Also, could you list a few servers that you can join alone with a few that you can't join? I am also under the understanding that you are on an university network. If so, they are notorious for restricting what ports that allow. I was thinking that maybe they are allowing the default rF2 ports so you can join those servers but can't join servers on nonstandard ports. If you can list a few you can and can't join I can look to see what ports they are running on.

5. elbo

elbo Registered

I basically have the same issues off a clean install...some servers are grayed out and I can not join, refresh does not help. Sometimes all servers are grayed. Exiting the game and reentering cures it on some servers but not on all....occasionally servers I could join previous to exiting become grey while others that were gray now become accessible...

6. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

I would look at your firewall/Virus protection if you use one.

I know Avast and AVG (free versions) play havoc with most games.

Even if you try to shut them down while racing, there are so many registry keys and software from these programs scattered through out your PC.

I have had 2 clients with the same issues..as you speak of. In there case it was Avast.

Once they used revo-uninstaller, and set it to scan the registry for left overs, there issues dis appeared.

I don't know if this is your problem, but just some food for thought.

The uninstaller that comes with the named software, doesn't remove all the registry keys so they stay active even though you have uninstalled the software using there un installer.

Just a thought...

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
  7. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

Sorry for not replying, I did forget about my posting.

Turns out it was my university connection just blocking some servers, now at home and is working fine again. Thank you Noel Hibbard for taking the time to help, and to the others for the suggests but turned out to be something out of my control but won't be an issue in the future :)