Server connection problem

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by BlaringFiddle5, Dec 20, 2012.

1. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

So - I have a dedicated server setup at the office. It is on a public IP address. I have allowed 44200 -> 65535 + 443 to connect through the firewall (Juniper - SRX). Winders firewall is off. Some people can connect to the server, some cannot. tjc has not been able to connect to it, and neither have I :) Other people can connect to it... what gives do you suppose?

Love to host servers in games = had a counter-strike server for many years as well as a "off grid" wow server for awhile...

Anyways - the server is up. It is called "BlaringFiddle - skippy" Does anyone have any idea why one would not be able to connect to it?

2. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

This won't help you but I've had rF1 servers that some people can't connect to. One was in a datacentre in Virginia... everyone in my league except one guy could connect. I ended up moving to a different DC and that solved the problem. Must've been a routing issue between him and the server.

3. BlaringFiddle5

routing issue shouldn't be it - i can remote desktop to the server from my house :)

4. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Tried TCPview to see what's going on?

5. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Might even be worth using Wireshark filtered on the rF2 ports to see if data is being exchanged and maybe what the server response is, if any.

6. BlaringFiddle5

That isn't a bad idea - i can run it on both ends... it is UDP right? not TCP?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
  7. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

rF uses a mix of UDP and TCP ports but I'm not sure which is involved in establishing the initial connection.

8. BlaringFiddle5

it looks like it was UDP. Running wireshark on both ends, I see packet leave my machine and arrive at server. Server sends packet back which I see leave server and arrive at my machine - no joy, however. That is the extent of the exchange. Seems like some sort of problem with rFactor2 software to me... Please note that windows firewall was off on both ends and no other firewall is installed. I am, at home, behind a linux firewall performing one to many NAT, of course. I could capture on the linux fire wall as well, but that would not show anything different I don't believe. I have no problem connecting to the server with other services such as remote desktop.

9. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

If your router has a firewall (and all businesses would use one) then you will need to open the ports in there as well. I have had no problem in getting a server up on multiple boxes.

The reason you can connect remotely is the ports have been set for that.

10. BlaringFiddle5

Yes- the ports are open :) Other racers can connect to the server ... I cannot .. and some others cannot. I also find that I cannot connect to some other folks servers. I believe that there is some issue in the beta code ... If someone from ISI wants a packet capture I can get one from both ends and send both...

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I think this says a lot, unfortunately. The server is obviously up, obviously working, you are unable to connect to it. I would look at your firewall, even if you think it isn't the problem.

12. BlaringFiddle5

Even tho there is no firewall on the windows machine behind my firewall (windows firewall off - no other firewall installed) and I can see the return packet from the server there with wireshark?

13. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Could you remove your local NAT firewall from the equation and test a connection?

(Drop the rf PC into the DMZ)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013