Server and client on the same PC

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by evi, Dec 22, 2020.

1. evi

evi Registered

Now, that the new UI is default, i have a problem. I'd like to run a server and a client on the same machine. With launcher that was not a problem at all. Now, if I launch the server (by creating a shortcut and changing launch directory) I cannot launch rfactor itself - it just brings the server window to the front.

Is there a workaround for this?

Thank you!

Hoshi likes this.
  2. Hoshi

Hoshi Registered

Thanks evi, I have exactly the same problem with the new ui. What am I supposed to do now?

3. evi

evi Registered

Not sure if it is a proper workaround, but... I managed to start client and server by starting "client" first, then alt-tab(ing) out of client and starting server from shortcut. Then I alt-tab(bed) back and joined my server.

It looks like server executable does not check if other "window" by the same name is running.
    Still, I would not call this "solved" because if I need to restart rF2 for any reason I would not be able to rejoin the server.
    1. We need "start server" button in new UI.
    2. Devs should change "window name" (probably window class actually, if I remember my windows programming days) to something other than what "client" is looking for.

Hope this helps!

4. Raphael

Raphael Registered

still can't seem to start a server though, everytime i do it just says it requires at least one mod to run on it, do i need to create a new package or something or does the old ones work?

5. evi

evi Registered

It just starts in "wrong" directory. Best way is to create a shortcut on desktop and change starting directory by removing "\bin64" at the end - something like "D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\rFactor 2". Then It will find installed mods and all.

6. Raphael

Raphael Registered

It work, thx, one final question, do you know where is MAS2, cause i need the app for creating a package, and i can't seem to find it in bin 64 or bin 34, have they just simply removed it and gave the job to mod manager or is it just really hard to find in the folder?

7. evi

evi Registered

It's in Support\Tools.