Sequential / Heal&Toe Shifter Improvements?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luka K., Oct 16, 2010.

1. Luka K.

Luka K. Registered

Sequential / Heel&Toe Shifter Improvements?

I was wondering if there will be any improvements in the shifter style code?
    this is a big bug in rF1 as modders cant get the upgrade working corretly (people who are using the paddles use the heel&toe upgrade which makes them a lot faster.).
    there isa really nice plugin developed for rF1 (Grinding Tranny Mod by hardjack79) but there is no way to force all people using it.
    can we expect something like this?
    netkar has a really nice system too. it doesnt let people with g25 and wheels with H shifters to use the padles in cars that dont have it and allows people with "formula forcex" and older no H shifter wheels to use the paddles everywhere

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2010
  2. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Agreed, this should be more fair for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2010
  3. Taranta

Taranta Registered

++++1

4. O11

O11 Registered

Registered just to give this a +1.

5. Peter

Peter Registered

I'm not sure I like this idea. I've recently been having some trouble with my left elbow, which have forced me to use the paddles instead of my shifter. I would hate to not be able to use the paddles (and in effect, not be able to race at all because of pain) just because I have the "wrong" steering wheel.

6. Luka K.

Luka K. Registered

or add a option to use the paddles but not to be able to use the heel&toe upgrade with the wheel paddles

7. O11

O11 Registered

Ofcourse it should be an option, not everybody even owns the equipment. And I suspect the majority of users want to use the paddles anyway. But I would love an iracing of live for speed-like system to be available.

8. lightspeed

lightspeed Registered

9. Peter

Peter Registered

That would be perfectly fine of course.

10. Willie

Willie Registered

It is certainly not fair that if a mod is with shiffer cars, you use the sequential shift and no-show penalize.
    What this does is that no one will risk using Shiffer, it will lose time compared to those using sequentially.
    I think it would be fair to penalize the use sequential shift in cars with Shiffer.

I hope you understand, my english is very bad, sorry. XD

I forgot, I hope that rfactor2, can not shift gears without pressing the clutch.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010
  11. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

I heard on a German Doku about the BMW Z4 M Coupe that you dont have to press the clutch while Upshifting - it is only needed for downshifting.

12. O11

O11 Registered

It depends per car. iRacing has like four different gearbox systems? It would be epic if that could feature in RF2 or if it could be made by modders.

On the downshift the clutch is generally used in most systems together with blipping to maintain balance whilst braking and to control engine braking. On the upshift this smoothness is rarely important, so the clutch isn't needed.

13. Graag

Graag Registered

In leagues this issue is important. Paddle delay must be adjusted to around 100ms so that paddle and h-shifter users will drive about same laptimes. H-shifter don't have delay because it is created by drivers hand movement. In rF1 I check if drivers are using correct upgrade by watching the replay. If N newer shows up between gears, the driver is cheating by using h-shifters upgrade with paddles. This is not a small cheat, driver can win as much as 1 second per lap with this. rFactor's replay also has upgradestring function, but it is compeletely useless. I hope rf2 would bring two things regarding this issue. Firstly the mod makers should stop using stupidly high shift-delays and secondly I hope replays would have proper way to show what upgrades drivers are using.

14. still_bacon

still_bacon Registered

in reality, this is actually driver based. Yvan Muller is a left foot braker (as is 2 other drivers in the V8 Series in Aus and I would suspect many others too), and they actually use the clutch for take off only.. Looking at the footwork its a work of art.

In the V8Supercars, they even have an electronic throttle cut switch in the gear lever to cut the throttle on flat changes when they are changing up (we call it the autolift function!!!)

15. Graag

Graag Registered

Modern V8 cars must have more technical solutions available to them that make this possible. But for example in 50's if your was made so that you had to double clutch and heel-toe, then you just did them or didn't drive that car.

16. Bladevulcano

Bladevulcano Registered

I just hope to make good use RF2 know the change in H as does the simulator "LFS". This means that the clutch is required to put the fly and if you do not enter the running.

17. JC Case

JC Case Registered

An added ForceManualClutch string (and function of course) in the HDV [DRIVELINE] section would be suffice to stop the T/H cheating that some paddle drivers do.

To be used something like this.. perhaps:
    HDV:

[DRIVELINE]
    ForceManualClutch=0 // Whether to force manual clutch to be able to shift gears
    Upgrades:

UpgradeLevel="3 Pedal System Toe-Heel"

HDV=[DRIVELINE]
    HDV=SemiAutomatic=0
    HDV=ForceManualClutch=1
    HDV=UpshiftDelay=0.0
    HDV=UpshiftClutchTime=0.0
    HDV=DownshiftDelay=0.0
    HDV=DownshiftClutchTime=0.0
    HDV=DownshiftBlipThrottle=0.0

---------
    Cheers