Self steering wheel / odd feedback / Update rate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rarry, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Rarry

Rarry Registered

Hello,

I'm new to rFactor and started purchasing rFactor2 this weekend. After some frustrating experminets and searching, I discovered the "Skip Update" setting to "3" seems to solve the "unplayable" problem with my Microsoft SideWinder FFB USB wheel.
    But I can't get the idea of the feedback behaviour at all.

Fisrt problem: While parking in the start-grid, the wheel steers to max-right/left by itself if not positioned exactly in the middle. Nevers sitten in a car with a self steering wheel so far, so I guess all available cars shouldn't be simulated like that ;-)

Next problem: When running straight and slightly turning, wheel also seems to steer itself and I have to bring up the _opposite_ force-direction as the direction I want to drive to. That's exactly the wrong way arround. If I drive left, there's the opposite force I have to correct, so feedback must be right-force - I have to increase left-force to keep the direction I want - alas the _same_ direction I want to drive to. At least as long as there's any grip to the ground. And exactly that amount of grip is what I expect the wheel to tell me...
    Sorry for my bumpy explanation, I'm no native english speaker... But I hope you understand my problem.

My question: Do all FFB-wheel drivers notice the same behaviour? Or is it just with my hardware? In any case, is there a known workarround?
    I'd really like to have something like a handbook. Especially for the variuous FFB- .ini settings. Is there a description of them anywhere available?

Thanks a lot,

-Rarry

P.S.: My gaming machine is quiet old, I just replaced the graphics card with a GeForece650Ti (1GB), but CPU is an old Athlon X2 2.5GHz, 2GB RAM - Win7_32. I'm willing to upgrade if I find any simulator replacing my "Viper Racing" - MGI 1998, published by Sierra. Simple physics-engine, but gives the impression of reality to some degree. That's not true at all for rFactor2 at the moment :-(

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

That sure is an old wheel, I had it before many years, you will see significant difference if you opt for a newer.

If you dont, sounds like you have ffb set very high, try lower it.

3. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

It's definately your wheels or PCs fault.
    Maybe you could try to find an "invert FFB" button...i know i saw one somewhere recently, but it could have been in RF2, RRRE or pCARS...i can't remember exactly :p

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

This is your problem that JJStrack is talking about. Your ffb is reversed if its (-) minus, you will have to make it (+) plus. Will have to find out how to do it.

It may have to do with the fact that you have picked the wrong steering wheel in setup.
    I know that don't have a pre made setup for your wheel, you will just have to pick a different one and test it for reversed force feed back. Maybe you can change it in the controller .ini

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  5. A.Driver

A.Driver Registered

In Documents/rFactor2/Userdata/Controller/[your saved profile] , edit the line

"Steering effects strength="10000.00000"

To this

Steering effects strength="-10000.00000" , notice minus sign reverses FFB

6. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Close but not quite. The file that is responsible for steering is always called "Controller.ini", it is located in UserData\player. Editing that file requires you to not have rFactor 2 running at that time.
    You can save your own controller settings inside rFactor 2 by Settings -> Controls -> Save. That will result in a file being saved to UserData\Controller\<the name you have chosen>.ini. You can edit that while rFactor 2 is running, after saving your changes in the editor, click the Load button and select the profile you edited.

Or you could simply unzip the attached file into UserData\Controller and then load the profile "negative FFB.ini".
    View attachment 6318

And you should try with "Skip Updates" set to 0 again, otherwise you will lose FFB detail.

Best regards,
    Marcus

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013