SDK Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TChapman500, Jan 2, 2011.

1. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Well, I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but will there be an SDK for both 3DS Max and gmax for 3D modeling in rFactor 2?

And will there be a plugin SDK with a more detailed overview on how to build a plugin for rFactor 2? I did try the rFactor 1 plugin SDK, but I'm a complete beginner at C++ and the documentation wasn't clear enough on what to do, even with the example plugins to help guide the process.

Sorry if these have been asked before.

2. hoover

hoover Registered

I'd rather see support for an open source 3d tool like Blender. Many modders work on a small budget and it's highly doubtful they all could afford a commercial 3dsmax license. With Blender out there and readily available for all platforms, I'd much rather see support for Blender in rF2.

YMMV, I'm not a 3d developer myself, but from what I've read about Blender it's right up there with the best of breed in this category.

More info can be found at http://www.blender.org/

All the best,

Uwe

3. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Gmax is very similar to 3DS Max, but gmax is free and, in my opinion, easier to use than Blender. But for those who know how to use Blender, an SDK for Blender would be good.

4. hoover

hoover Registered

Blender just received a major UI overhaul, you might want to check it out once more, is supposedly become much easier to use. I just looked at the gmax website, and while it looks interesting it seems restricted to windows only, no source available and it requires registration. I'm no open source zealot, but I'd rather choose the free as in speech alternative if one is available. Also, Blender is extensible in Python (and maybe other scripting languages in the meantime) which is a big plus if you have many repetitive tasks to do which I'd guess occur quite often in car modelling / skinning.

All the best & thanks for pointing out gmax,

Uwe

5. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Well, if it received a major UI overhaul, I guess I'll look into it. I am not familiar with this "Python" but gmax has a scripting language called "Max Script", which I am also not familiar with (yet).

Anyways, what are plans for modeling SDK's for rFactor 2?

6. beatnik

beatnik Registered

Before I lucked out and received a license for 3ds Max through school, I dabbled in Blender and was pleasantly surprised how versatile it was.