Screen resolution with build 982

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Voodoo Pizzaman, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Voodoo Pizzaman

Voodoo Pizzaman Registered

Hey all,

My monitor runs 1680x1050 but my rF2 install lately has been leaving black bars all around the edge of the screen. Normally, each time my nVidia drivers update, rF2 reverts to the default 1024x768 resolution, then I just change it to 1680x1050 and everything it fine. But I installed build 982 this week, and when I changed my resolution, I started getting black bars. I thought it might be a driver issue, so I updated my video drivers, but the same thing is happening. I have an nVidia GeForce GTX 660 and an HP w2207h monitor, native resolution 1680x1050 60Hz.

The best resolution I can run now in full screen is 1280x720. Is there something I can do?

2. Garth Buchanan

Garth Buchanan Registered

1680x1050 is a 16:10 ratio.
    1280x720 is 16:9

I would check your desktop's nvidia settings since you think 16:9 resolutions are running better on a 16:10 display versus a native ratio. 16:10 is not nearly as common as 16:9 for pc's so there's a good chance your desktop graphics settings need adjusting.

3. Voodoo Pizzaman

16:10 is what my monitor runs. I checked it's factory settings and that's what it's supposed to be. I changed the desktop resolution to a 16:9 and everything is off.

4. Voodoo Pizzaman

I did the Win10 upgrade and uninstalled/reinstalled all my video drivers and software, and updated the drivers to the Windows 10 version, still having the same problem. Just speculating, but since this problem didn't occur with me BEFORE build 982, is it something in the build? The 16:10 ratio resolutions SHOULD be working on my 16:10 monitor running 16:10 resolution natively, however they're no longer behaving like they should.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

My 16:10 screen recently died so I can't confirm, but although 16:9 is increasingly common I doubt you're alone in running rF2 on 16:10. If it had an inherent issue with that ratio I think we would have heard more people complaining about it; and anyway, it's more likely a lot of other ratios would also be broken if there were something wrong with the build.

If setting it to 1280x720 (16:9) is making it properly fullscreen on your 16:10 setup, then something is obviously going very wrong somewhere.

One question: you said in the first post that rF2 had black bars "all around the edge of the screen." Do you mean top & bottom & left & right (all 4 edges), or just the left & right sides?

6. Voodoo Pizzaman

Sorry, should have clarified. It's only on the sides of the screen, not the top and bottom. I suspect it's the Widescreen UI being a problem.

In other news, though, I tried to do a clean reinstall using the Lite build of 982. rF2 now not only won't start (claiming I have no mods installed), but I can't even reinstall my mods (get an "error writing manifest file" and then it closes.)

So, I think I'm seriously screwed. It'd be fantastic if ISI could take a look at this and maybe tell me where my install went wrong as well, because I can't seem to get in touch with them on social media. I just got the new URD PX mod, too.

7. Voodoo Pizzaman

Update: Repeated the uninstall again, and now everything works. Mods are all where they should be, resolution is 1680x1050 and working, and a 'Missing BlankButton000.bmp' popup error message on startup is gone too. I didn't do anything differently than the last time, I simply repeated the uninstall/reinstall with the exact same settings.

It's a mystery to me, but the case is closed.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sometimes weird stuff happens :)

Good to hear it's all good now.