SOLVED Scratching my head........NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING WHY

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Nibiru, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Didn't know what to call this post :) and really hoping someone can help out. I have spent over a week trying different things without success.

I'm lost ... Things dont add up. I'm working on a track with 10 layouts and have all layouts working in dev and in game v04. I decide I don't like the trees around track and remove most and replace with billboards and 3d trees now v05. The only text file changed was the .scn where new objects where added and objects removed. After doing this I can only get 3 layouts working the rest crash the game without any error message.

All track use the same files except for a handful of files eg xfiles and track closed barriers...no trees. I have checked material names and resaved these files with no change.

As there is only a handful of object changes between tracks the .scn is a copy in each track with only the track specific changes. Also remember it was working before changing trees.

To me the trees cant be an issue as they work in 3 layouts........ALL THE ABOVE WAS DONE WITH 3DSIMED.

I then put the track into 3dsmax and exported but still the same issue

I have done the process of elimination with the layouts that don't work with no success .

I have even tried changing the gdb files with marios script and also hand written and the ones that work....but when I did that I lost all tracks.

My biggest miss understanding is that I had them working changed a few objects and now some tracks work but others don't and they all look at the same files. The .scn and gdb files have been copied from working layouts and adjust but don't work.

I probably didn't explain to well but my head is going 100mph thinking about this. I really hope someone can come up with suggestions to try/ look at

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

When does it crash? Right at the very beginning, around the middle of the loading bar, near the end, right at the very end?
    Are you experiencing the same thing when loading the layouts in the scene Viewer?

3. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Hi Luc

It happens near the end around 85% I havent tried in scene viewer but will now

4. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I just tried 1 track that doesn't work in game and it loads in viewer

5. Luc Van Camp

Around 85% would indicate it's not a problem with the assets, so we can rule that out. If you really want to make sure though, copy the SCN (move the other one somewhere out of the rF2 folder structure) and only keep the RaceSurfaces and XSectors. Oh, there isn't some other loose SCN somewhere in those crashing layouts' subfolders?

Since it loads in the Viewer, it's definitely NOT a problem with the assets, so no need to test that.

Typically, inexplicable crashes are caused by a loose file that gets loaded instead of the one you want ...
    I'd suggest cleaning those layout subfolders as much as possible. Also the main folder of the track.

6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I removed all except racesurface and xsector and it loaded. No other loose scn

7. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I check other layouts and there was a loose file in some. I deleted from thosel folders and loaded the track i had been trying without success....but it YES loaded so I tried another track that didn't work but the game crashes. Tried all other non working layouts but they crashes too.

So I gained a layout.

8. Luc Van Camp

You mean that lightweight SCN loaded ingame? And before it loaded fine in the Viewer, with all other instances in the SCN? Wow ...

9. Luc Van Camp

Interesting ... well, it's a positive :) ...
    Seems like there was/is more than one problem preventing those layouts to load.

10. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

11. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

The only difference between tracks is track specific files which are only xfiles and track barriers and a few cones. Those objects sit in each layouts folder and no xfiles or those objects are in the main GMT folder

12. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I still don't understand.........Through alot of trial and error and stuffing around I have managed to get all layouts working again in dev with the new objects. After checking over the scenes I realized I had 4 side roads not set as "racesurface" yet . As soon as I change the name of the object and the reference in the scn the game crashes. I have tried each object singularly and all 4 object cause the game to crash. I have tried to change the position in the scn (beginning middle end) I have tried re-saving the objects in max and checking material names but still crash. I have screen shots with the objects working in a previous test with racesurface working weeks ago ....In the without shot the section of road closest to you which is darker has no racesurface name. The first pic does have racesurface and the roads look same colour. This is the same object I first tried to use which crashed the game. Since I have re-saved but still crashes. As soon as I remove "racesurface" game works.

With race surface
    http://isiforums.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=13984&d=1408371216

Without
    http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a424/xNibiru/GRAB_021.jpg

I have no loose files in the track folders.

Still lost

13. Luc Van Camp

Create a new primitive (box) object;
    Attach the offending RaceSurface piece;
    Delete the polys from the primitive you just created;
    Set pivot point to centre of object;
    Reset the transform;
    Re-set the exporter tags and values.

Oh, and remove "isolated vertices" and "unused map vertices" from the Editable Poly > Polygon submode.

That's about the only thing I can think of.

14. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Thanks Luc....I gave that a try but still crashes when racesurface_ is added to the objects name. I might just give up on those pieces of road.

15. INTEL48

INTEL48 Registered

I had same problem when doing multi layout in Donnington, organise a time on TS and I might be able to steer you in right direction, would take way too long to type correction, just PM me nib

16. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Thanks for the help guys I have managed to sort out the issue. It turned out to be 5 small objects I had. What made it hard to find them was during the process of elimination once I got the track to load and I started adding objects back in the bad objects would work. It wasn't until I added new objects or changed objects that dev would crash. Once it was working in DEV I tried packing it up and putting it in game, that the game would then crash. What I found was basically that if the bad objects were removed when the game created the tracks .rrsh file (I think thats what its called only going from memory) the file under cbash the track would work. Once the .rrsh file was created and bad objects were added the track would still load. If I deleted the .rrsh file game would crash when trying to make this file. So again did the process of elimination and packaging up and found the culprits.