Sanctioned Races / Skill Rating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadow106, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Shadow106

Shadow106 Registered

lol I couldn't agree more there mate.

2. coops

coops Banned

her way or the highway sounds like.

3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Not completely off topic as is relevant to pick up races... Why are Meganes so popular? This is a sincere question as I am not familiar with Meganes and Mefanes and F1 seem to dominate rFactor pick up races.

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Oh and also I like the idea of a 'display only' SR rating like Dirt two had but it was more temporary where you had green, yellow or red status but could clear a red fairly quickly. I wonder if it makes sense to weight the contribution of collisions in a given race to the SR score by the proportion of people that have a collision in that race and how many collisions a driver has and with how many different people. For example, if Joe has one collision with one person during a given race but every driver has one and only one collision then no one should get dinged. On the other hand, if Joe collides with three people and no racers collide with anyone other than Joe then Joe should get gp dinged pretty hard as a statistical outlier.

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Just a thought but is there some way voting could be used in public servers so racers could vote on next track and car?

6. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Yeah like in Dirt 2 the host can chose whether the SRs are displayed...

7. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Two other Advantages of SR ratings (visible only) is that it would hopefully discourage some wreckers and also just remind people that safe racing is important but also can warn us so we know to watch out for wreckers so can evade them.

8. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

+1

1 person likes this.
  9. Armando

Armando Registered

I have a UPS to power my PC, monitors, wheel and router, in order to protect them from power line problems and shutdowns.
    It seems you could make good use of one, too. ;)

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

UPS wont do you much good if you are thrown outside house with UPS, PC, monitor, wheel and router ;)

it is as coops said 'her way or the highway' LOL

11. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Its because they have very responsive brakes have a degree of down force and for the most part are VERY literal to drive , this makes the car very easy for people to jump in and race with regardless of skill level.

The down force / sticky nature of the car at high speed makes it less likely for people to take each other off when over taking on the inside on long fast corners.

They are reasonably fast so tracks are not "boring" to drive and learn with them.

they also allow people to get brake points wrong with far less of a chance of an accident than what you get with cars that tend to lock and slide or cars that take a long time to slow down whilst not sliding.

Bros' megan trophy server for RF1 was also one of the more popular servers partly due to the points above with the car, but also because it was simply a well set-up sprint race server doing a 5 or so lap race and then moving to a new track. Making it popular for casual pick-up racing.

Personaly Id prefer a high end radical or a car like the ossela in NKP but megan is esear for new people to pick up and race with.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
  12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I think there are realy 2 issues in this thread and they might not be related.

1] deal with wreckers.

2] improve overall driving standards.

With whatever system we could use (appart from live-admins and passworded servers) we will allways have wreckers. they are their for a reason, they either dont care or they love ruining others people's fun.
    If i was a wrecker i would simply try and find out how to abuse a new system like ratings or whatever. and i'm pretty sure i could find 'the next loophole'

Also it remains to be seen just how an anti-wrecker-system would benefit the normal driver. it could actualy have a negative impact on them and history shows that problems caused by a small portion of a large group usualy effects the larger crowd in a negative way. (football matches/anti-cheat systems/anti piracy software, etc. the ones that suffer the most are those whom had little to do with the issue)

A safety rating system would - in my mind- only be usefull if it only focussed on improving overall driving standards. penalties for cutting, penalties for x-amount of contact. preferably on-track penalties so it would be 'hands-on' rather then in hindsight.

But even with a rating it should be focussing on motivating a low-rated driver to become better. asking himself what he needs to do to improve it.

And in that respect having servers setup to a certain rating could actualy help because a low-rated driver would get sick of the noobs on low-rated public servers and would want to improve so he can join a high-rated server in order to get some serious racing in.

If this would exclude the wreckers, then that would only be a positive side-effect. but imo it should not be the goal because they will be back anyways.

We did a few iracing seasons in our league along side the rfactor championships and one thing we started with was only allowing drivers higher then x-rating to join our races.
    It worked pretty well and members (including myself) would first have to quickly work their asses of to be allowed to race.
    And btw, the iracing system aint 100% bulletproof either, there will allways be 'questionable' issues in any system.

1 person likes this.
  13. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Makes sense. Many thanks for the thoughtful reply. And I agree regarding the Ossela! Amazing car!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
  14. jjcook

jjcook Registered

very funny lololol.....i was wondering where you went- hehe- a dose of realism- ;)

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Id rather miss such extreme realism :(
    cu on track john :)