RSR wheel DIY?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by ThomasJohansen, Jan 1, 2022.

1. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Im working on making my own RSR wheel, and I'm in the design process, but this thing have 8 rotarys in real life, for what, can I use those in rf2?

first four is obvious
    1. TC
    2. Brake bias
    3. ABS level
    4. Fuelmap
    5. ?
    6. ?
    7. ?
    8. ?

any ideas?

I want the the buttons functional and with my own useful writing.

Here is a picture of real life

stuttcars_991_rsr_4_2_35_copyright_porsche_d658d9d9bf8c2d69be377d9bd5cb3ea9158b7dc1.png

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@ThomasJohansen maybe someone can correct me, but I think rF2 has no support for rotaries. You would need to use some (possibly intelligent) macros in order to select a specific level for each rotary position, and that may mean cycling through multiple settings to get to it each time (albeit in very quick time, automatically).

What I mean is, you can't assign a key to "brake bias 60:40" and another to "brake bias 58:42". There's only increase and decrease. Same for all those settings. A script/macro could be used to do it artificially (let's say fuel mixture - hit 'decrement' enough times to be sure of being on the lowest setting, then hit 'increment' the right number of times to get to the desired setting) or intelligently (either ascertain the current level where possible (e.g. brake bias via telemetry), or do the same "start from base" procedure and then keep track of what the current setting will be).

3. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I think I remember seeing in either the controller or player json, that you can set brake bias to function as an axis, instead of push buttons. This way it can be assigned to a potentiometer, which sounds pretty nice. Maybe you can make the rotary function as an axis in software then you could do this.

Lazza likes this.
  4. ThomasJohansen

Rotary's works fine for brake bias, tc, fuel map and abs etc.
    Because you can assign a + and a - key for each.

But just need inspiration for use of extra 4 Rotary's on the RSR.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ah, sorry, I might have my terminology wrong. I was thinking rotary as in having a set of positions that each need to be assigned (or have proper rotary support). So then you put a rotary in, say, position 3, and you know what means. The +/- ones are indeed fine.

Carry on!

@ThomasJohansen I'll try to actually contribute to the original topic :D

This could depend a lot on which cars you drive, as some controls are more important than others for individual cars (and some cars won't have particular ones at all), but what comes to mind for me are front and rear ARB (If you don't have some other controls for those), and brake map.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  6. ThomasJohansen

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Brake Map refers to engine compression doesn't it? In other words, how much resistance the engine provides when off throttle.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, so you can just do the resetting manually. You'd probably be doing that each time you jump in the car though, but I guess it is what it is.

Rear ARB I'd usually consider pretty common, at least from an open wheeler perspective, with front ARB not that far behind. But it does depend what you drive and how the mod is set.

As @davehenrie said, brake mapping is about the level of engine braking. Usually higher brake mapping increases the idle throttle, making braking more stable at the expense of overall braking performance (to a point) and fuel consumption. Again from an open wheel / F1 perspective it's something I consider fairly fundamental, but depends on the mod.

9. ThomasJohansen

@Lazza & @davehenrie thx, brakemapping gotta experiment with that, especially if it can be mapped to a rotary. Always just concentrated on "coast" in that term.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  10. Giurf

Giurf Registered

my ferrari steering wheel

Attached Files:

11. ThomasJohansen

But can you use all the rotarys to anything useful.
    I have two wheels with rotarys, but not with eight rotarys. My max per wheel is 4 at the moment.

@Giurf What functions have you assigned to your 12 rotarys?

12. Giurf

Giurf Registered

it really depends on the game you play

13. ThomasJohansen

Yes but this is the rF2 forum ;-)
    so in rF2?

14. Giurf

Giurf Registered

yes in rfactor 2 it is used in others a little less

15. atomed

atomed Member

I use six in mine:
    Brake Bias
    ABS
    Mixture
    Boost
    Brake map
    Traction Control

ThomasJohansen likes this.
  16. lagg

lagg Registered

You have two types of rotary encoders (incremental and absolute)
    in rF2 the incremental rotaries are well implemented.
    In addition to what has been said above you can use the rotaries to change the strategy.
    One to select the menu and another one to increase or decrease the values.

If you want to use the absolute encoders propperly, you'll have to develop an external application to control every position of the rotary. You'll have to assig a key to every function in rF2 and launch the keypress from your program.

ThomasJohansen, Lazza and atomed like this.
  17. ThomasJohansen

@atomed As mentioned above, brake map as incar adjustment, is new to me and will explore that.
    What/how/car type do you use boost as rotary?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  18. ThomasJohansen

@lagg I only use rF2.
    I use simhub, and I have thought of the possibility to make a rotary to shift screen layout (like bottom left corner of RSR wheel). That could be cool to have a "qual" layout activated by an absolute rotary, so dont have to scroll through several layouts. Will see if I can make that happen.

my overall point is to make a functional wheel with buttons and rotarys which make sense, and will not have "drink" buttons etc, unless I make a automated drink feeder :)

Thanks for all your inputs.

By the way, if I end up with a finished wheel I will post the 3d print files for others to use, free to print.

lagg likes this.
  19. lagg

lagg Registered

I remember a guy in our league that had the drink feeder.
    We found out he had it, because he suddenly started yelling in the Team Speak.
    His system had broken down and all the water was drained over him. :D

atomed and ThomasJohansen like this.
  20. atomed

atomed Member

Usually the car that has mixture doesn´t have boost, I think it was the older GTs and/or mods. Sadly having so many control mappings is not as needed as first you would expect. I also tried to simulate rotaries and buttons to real life situations but it turns out we don´t need as many as IRL.