[REL] RSM Racing V8's by Rock Solid Mates

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Carr, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Carr

Carr Registered

Rock Solid Mates are proud to present our mod, RSM Racing V8s. This is our representation of Australian Supercars made with the intent of making it good to race in a simulated environment. They are not totally accurate and are designed that way.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1286151140

Version 0.7e - Changes from previous version:
    - Tuned physics to improve car handling
    - Added animated driver
    - Balanced some vehicle sounds
    - Adjusted brakes to provide better feel and locking
    - Tuned tyres but will need further adjustmen with further testing
    - Adjusted damage for parts falling off
    - Fixed engine reving problem
    - Adjusted vehicle cameras
    - Tyre sidewalls change colour with compound

Known Issues:
    - Head physics need tuning
    - Engine sounnds need further adjustment
    - Small visual clipping on a couple of cars
    - Tyres need to be balanced a little more
    - Ford side mirrors not working for external cameras
    - Steering bounces left/right when you first hit race due to stong FFB, once you stop it, it doesn't continue.
    - Not configured for Rain, Wet tyres are only a placeholder and have not been tuned to suit the cars.

Known Issues - v0.5e:
    - Engine sounnds need to be adjusted\balanced
    - Brakes are difficult to lock in a straight line
    - Small visual clipping on a couple of cars
    - Engine slow to drop revs/decelerate
    - Tyres have a little too much grip
    - Ford side mirrors show incorrect image
    - Steering bounces left/right when you first hit race due to stong FFB, once you stop it, it doesn't continue.
    - Not configured for Rain, Wet tyres are only a placeholder and have not been tuned to suit the cars.
    - No bonnet in cockpit view

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    yippssy, Ari Antero, Corti and 5 others like this.
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ooohhh baby a new V8 Mod :D Many Thanks will try and check it out later and report back :)

Grey likes this.
  3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

YAY! Love me a bit of V8s.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

@Carr I had a very quick go last night, models look great, not long enough for a proper run so won't comment on physics and stuff (not that I'm an expert in that area anyway!).
    Just one thing immediately became obvious, could you please add a driver model with animated arms/hands for VR users please? Is very weird to drive a car without them in VR, seeing the steering wheel magically turning by itself :D I believe you can use any Studio397 one for this so no need to make a totally new one, thanks :)

5. Carr

Carr Registered

@MarcG It is on the To-Do List

MarcG likes this.
  6. Carr

Carr Registered

Update released on Steam Workshop - v0.7e - 04/03/2018

Hope you all enjoy the much needed changes.

F1Aussie, TheGame316, Corti and 3 others like this.
  7. bwana

bwana Registered

Feels quite good , brakes are better . Setup adjustments work , only thing is a lack of fidelity through the wheel , tried to drop wheel strength to 0.8 to get rid of what feels like clipping , if l went lower it losses ffb strength too much .. great fun around Adelaide . Skin pack needed !! Good job 7.5/10 for me jmho.. ps be interested which tyres you are using ,

8. Carr

Carr Registered

Thanks for the feedback @bwana , it is good to see that people are enjoying it.

I have been trying to work out how to reduce FFB strength without losing feel but haven't been able to put my finger on it, will have to do some more research and playing around with it.

As for our tyres, from memory they started as an ISI GTR one from around 3 years ago but many hours have been spent by @TheGame316 in ttool updating it to current CPM and making changes and even more time changing the real-time values to get what we were looking for. I think over the time of development we have at least 50 tyres we have made before we got to this one. They still need a bit of tuning after the physics changes we made, but they appear to do the job quite nicely.

A skin pack is being done for some of last years cars, but we have been focusing on getting the car right first.

Churrinche, bwana and Ari Antero like this.
  9. bwana

bwana Registered

thanks for reply Carr, keep at it. will be a beauty when finished.

10. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Thanks @bwana
    And yes @Carr is correct. The tyre started as an ISI GTR tyre from tyre examples from around 3 years ago. However apart from physical properties(node data relating to material properties of rubber, strands etc) very little remains of that original tyre. And 50 would be a conservative estimate for testing versions. From memory one test version had around 12 tyres. Add in the tyres done to understand how things work would push that number well over 100(and like most modders could attest, I still can't say I fully understand how it all works:confused:)
    The light bulb moment was the addition of CalcPointAccel discussed in the return of the Dev blog recently. As much as I found it hard to believe one line could make a huge difference, the proof was in the first test after that addition.
    One last thing, @Marcel Offermans or @Michael Borda. When will we see some new tyre examples containing the new variables? It would definitely save me some time with the wet tyre and some other possible ideas down the track. Even updating the tyres on the dev mode cars(Camaro, FR and Skippy) would be a start;)

bwana and Sebastien Sestacq like this.
  11. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I expect us to have some samples up this month.

12. Marnes23

Marnes23 Registered

Hi all quick question
    I created a few skins for the RSM V8s and they work as they should however when I preview the car in the tuning menu I only see the body/rims skin. The windows and lights have no decals they only appear tinted.

If I race with my custom cars though all the decals can be seen but they look as if they are under the glass instead of the top, also no numbers on the windshield can be seen from inside the car.

I hope this makes some sense and that some help can be offered.

Thanks