rFactor2 Server Manager

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Samoht, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Samoht

Samoht Registered

Bellow a showoff of a rFactor2 Server Manager system fully integrated with AWS EC2 (instances) and working under linux.I can start "unlimited" instances (technically 20 because that's the default limit by AWS but can be raised).

I did that for fun first, but this system has a lot of potential though in order to continue this project I would need to find sponsors or financial support as you know working with high quality professional thirdparty services like AWS has a cost that I cannot sustain by myself.

If your are interested by this project feel free to contact me in private.

Thank you all.

2. IMHO great work.

Editing an existing / running event with mas2 utility is sometimes a bit tricky - so did you implement such (could not see it in the menu shown in the video)?

This would be a great feature, like adding cars by just editing the already existing event etc.

3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Wow, that's great!

I'm not running servers myself but something like this would be helpful for those that want to create online events easier.

Are you going to free the source code?

A similar project was attempted before: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/apx-rf2-server-made-easy.67628/

How does it run on Linux with several connected clients? There were reports that when several drivers joined a race there was a big lag.

4. Samoht

Samoht Registered

Thank you Stone and also for your help achieving this.

To answer your question, I did not try to edit a running instance and in my mind I don't think this would be needed if the end goal is to propose something close to what iRacing multiplayer is. Once an instance is started with the proper parameters it runs for the needed race-time or number or laps and that's it. For the practice session, I was planning to run them in a loop during an hour and restart another instance.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  5. Samoht

Samoht Registered

Thank you Bernat,

About releasing the free-source code it will depends only if this project can move forward, meaning getting either financial support or material support with proper server. From now I will keep it private.

About how does it run on Linux with multiple clients, to be honest I did not test yet, I am a lone dev :D This will be part of the next steps if any. About the big lag when joining this also happens on self hosted windows session btw, and I saw something in the settings that can be played with in order to mitigate this. Anyway this will be looked at.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  6. elgagon

elgagon Registered

Hi @Samoht , this project looks great
    One doubt.
    In the video, you only select one car.
    Is it possible to select several cars?
    Wouldn't be better to use a listbox or a treeview instead a combobox?

7. Samoht

Samoht Registered

Thank you.

Yes of course you can select as many VehicleTeams and Layouts you want the server to run. I on purpose selected only one.

Yeah anything can be done, I am just far away of doing such small optimisation. As I said in order for this project to move forward it needs financial support :).

Deleted member 58016 and elgagon like this.
  8. I see - just another valid approach.

I was thinking of kind of practicing servers running testday mode (30h mode) and which are hosting one track only - but I think it would be pretty easy to just set up a new event / session by using your interface and there will be no need for editing in the end.

Glad that I could support / help you in a way :)

9. Samoht

Samoht Registered

Hi @Bernat

I can now answer your question after multiple hosted races on my system. The AWS instance I am using the most is a 4VCPU and 8GB of ram on a 10GBits symetric bandwith, and this config hosted 40 drivers without any issue or even a slight lag when someone joined.

Of course I am using AWS instances so I have the flexibility to choose whatever instance type (specs) I want based on the type of race I want to run.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
    Bernat likes this.
  10. Denis Mitchell

Denis Mitchell Registered

This is amazing, brilliant.
    Would this work without the AWS instances? I have a server I use and have looked for a easier way to create mods for a long time to no avail.
    I run Sim Experience SA, and we pretty much only run rF2 races and settings servers is a bit meh lol...this would make like so much easier. Are you planning on releasing this to the public as a app perhaps? I dont need the code, just your app lol.
    Thanks again for this effort. I have been begging other devs for something like this.

11. Samoht

Samoht Registered

@Denis Mitchell No it would not work without AWS instances not in its current implementation. Though it would not take much time to containerize everything and being able to use whatever other hosting.

Hazi likes this.