rfactor2 launcher not launching

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by elbo, Aug 8, 2015.

1. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Well that didn't work. GRRRR Thats the same thing as in the "runtime" folder in Support

2. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Well, I guess I needed to run all 4 runtimes. x86 and x64. Running now. Just a heads up for others with this issue.

3. oclynx

oclynx Registered

Hello.

I experienced this kind of problem for a few days, but I was finally able to solve it a few moments ago.

The problem:
    rFactor2 launched normally after updating to 998 build, at first. A few days later, when I tried to run the game again, the launcher got stuck without showing any error messages. What happened, exactly, was the following: by double clicking the launcher for the first time, the process was recognized by windows task manager (using only about 3MB) but the launcher window didn't show up. By double clicking the launcher a second time, an error message saying the process could't be opened again because it was already running popped up.

I created another rF2 (lite) installation in a different folder, and this one worked normally.

With help from a friend who understands these subjects a lot better than me (Paolo Velardo - https://www.facebook.com/paolo.velardo), we explored lot's of possible causes without success.

Finally, I decided to migrate the folders from the erratic installation, one by one, to the new rF2 that was working correctly. I migrated the "Installed" folder, first, and all of the contet was correctly recognized by the mod manager and showed up in the game normally.

Then, I migrated the "UserData" folder and the new installation presented the same problem.

The sollution that worked for me:
    I've copied the "UserData" folder from the new installation and pasted it in the root folder of the erratic rF2 installation. While overwriting the old files, a message showed up to confirm if I should change the "Launcher.config" file for the new one, wich was different in size.
    After overwriting this file, the launcher worked normally without need for a new install.

Step by step of this solution:
    1) Download rFactor Lite;
    2) Install rFactor Lite in a different folder from the original install that's not starting;
    3) In the root folder of the new installation, copy the "UserData" folder;
    4) In the root folder of the original (erratic) installation, paste and overwrite the files from UserData;
    5) Make sure you do overwrite the Launcher.config file.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That's a fresh install. :)

5. oclynx

oclynx Registered

Thanks for the heads up: I have zero knowledge on the topic.
    I was terrified of needing to install and configure everything again. Very glad the solution solved the previous installation.