rFactor2 Dedicated Server crashes in session changes

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JParra, Nov 30, 2023.

1. JParra

JParra Registered

Since the last update, on our private server we have frequent "rFactor2 dedicated stopped working" in automatic session changes, with the consequent connection lost for all drivers.

I suppose it will be an error already reported by other communities, since it is the second week that we are suffering from it on different servers, cars and mods. It is not necessary for me to comment on how desperate it is for the organization and drivers.

Is there a solution we can adopt?

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    Flipo likes this.
  2. Joaquin Rodriguez

Joaquin Rodriguez Registered

Si, en mi comunidad, está pasando lo mismo, un verdadero contratiempo, que demora y hace tedioso tanto tiempo de espera. Solemos correr por la noche, cuando todos estamos en casa, pero por este motivo terminamos demasiado tarde.
    Espero busquen una solución pronto.

Flipo likes this.
  3. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Flipo likes this.
  4. Flipo

Flipo Registered

We also have the same problem.
    It happened to us on Monday with the F1 server and today Thursday with the GT server, when the session automatically goes from Q1 to Q2 or from Q1 to Warmup the server closes and at the end of the race when the last driver passes the finish line and It restarts on the weekend the server also closed

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
  5. DI3GO

DI3GO Registered

A nosotros nos pasa lo mismo desde la última actualización, durante el día nos encontramos en cualquier momento de repente el dedicated cerrado (sospecho que es al acabar una sesión), y el otro día tuvimos carrera, y tanto al acabar Q1 como al acabar la carrera, crasheo también. Pero no es al pasar sesión, fue prácticamente al acabarse esas sesiones...

6. JParra

JParra Registered

I have activated the logs (+trace=2 +traceFlush) for the server where we have an official race tonight.
    I will return to them if the problem is replicated, which it will surely be because this week we have found some servers closed and it is because of this problem since the update.

7. JParra

JParra Registered

Now, I cannot remain silent about it and I have to say that not having even a minimal response with possible causes or any solution or patch from whoever the hell manages rFactor2 today, is a huge lack of respect for the affected communities with servers. own, that we are already seeing how little they care about us with their brand new online, but they should not forget that rFactor2 has been kept alive in recent years thanks to communities like ours.

You are lucky that he is the best, but don't trust that it will last forever and if the lean times come again, we will see who stays this time.

TOCA2FREAK, Flipo and DI3GO like this.
  8. farfex

farfex Registered

I was tempted to buy the packs that are offered in the store to play online. But with the recent problems in community servers, I am very angry with rfactor 2, so I'm considering to also uninstall it.
    You have to, at least, tell us that you are working on a solution, or you are going to lose all the players that had been supporting this game despite its frecuent bugs and fails

9. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

I hope your logs will help.

I would suggest checking if you have third part plugins and maybe disable them temporarily, or use only the needed ones. Not mentionning certain old mods that can also introduce issues, i think ...

Do you let your servers always alive ? If so, why ? Maybe stop them properly at some point and restart them frequently ...Not mentionning to set them in auto restart ...

I noticed some weird behaviours when there is nobody inside the server, like not going to warmup an restarting events alone which looks more like a bug than a feature.

Keeping them always alive, even empty, is probably not a good practice, but i agree it should work.

10. Sauron04

Sauron04 Registered

Hello, I am a player belonging to the JParra community and these errors that we have now are not from old mods, not for having open servers whith or without AI, or anything that implícate ours installations. We have exactly the same installed and working as before the last update, which run without errors and now we have near 99% probability in the end of a session rFactor crashes.
    If the reasson is really old mods or something similar as not oficial mods may be is because rfactor2 don’t wont autonomous communities.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The Devs are more active on Discord, but I've seen posts lately saying certain fixes will be delayed til after Le Mans Ultimate has been completed. They are rigidly focused on LMU, also the person who ran the online server section may have left the company.

12. JParra

JParra Registered

New crash and this is the last line of the log. Attached the rest.

Code:
    22742.17s main.cpp      358: onFatalError 11
    We need the server to be running and passing sessions through, because our usual hotlap system require this.

Third party plugins may be this system, but it works without interfering with the server, it simply reads your data.

We have the message when entering, but I don't remember if it is from third parties or official, I will check it.

The servers are restarted often, whenever there is an official race each week, we close the rest, apart from tests, Windows server updates and other needs.

From my experience, I am 100% sure that the origin was the last update, since we have had the same servers for years and the Mods since the summer, since we change them every 6 months.

If the developers are too busy to serve us, we will have to look for a place where we are valued, because this is unbearable and the impact on our community is great, since it is very unprofessional to have people entering and leaving the server, redoing clasificactions by hand and all the time that is wasted. People don't want that in their hobby.

13. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

I already had issues with a plugin exiting abruplty and i got onFatalError 22 ... not 11.
    Looks like an internal error ...
    Also , look if you've got a mini.dmp file and try to see with @Coutie if somebody can analyze that or try on discord.

And position=-1, positionInClass=-2, is a bit intriguing ... negative positions ? o_O

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@JParra even if the devs were freely available, there's nothing they could do if they can't reproduce the problem themselves, or there's something more useful than the unfortunately vague "onFatalError 11".

If the issue is that consistent, try to test with different content (standard rF2 track and cars), without any third party plugins, and on a fresh dedi install, separately. It may help narrow down potential causes.

It may be a new bug that's hitting only some, or it could be something not right with your server or content that changes have inadvertently now affected.

Remember that online system or not, all servers are the same dedi. They aren't leaving community servers behind; they use the same program.

DanRZ likes this.
  15. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Post the dump file, it's the most useful thing for debugging issues.

DanRZ likes this.
  16. JParra

JParra Registered

I understand perfectly what you are telling me, that we do not pay them (with money at least) nor do they work for us and that I have no choice but to follow those steps, logs, reinstallation and everything official with 0 third-party components.
    But all this will not remove the feeling of gradual abandonment that people, rFactor people since alwalys, are feeling and it's not just me.

17. JParra

JParra Registered

How can I generate that file or where should I look for it?

18. JParra

JParra Registered

19. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It's called rfmini.dmp in the userdata folder, it should automatically generate if there's a CTD.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I've been around long enough to know that some issues take a very long time to get action, if ever.

But I wasn't referencing their responsibility to us at all; I'm saying that without being able to reproduce the issue (which they can then do in a debug environment, and see exactly what's happening) or hopefully some information in a dmp file, there's little they can do without more pointers to where the issue is. That's where you can potentially help by narrowing it down to content or something else in your environment.

It's always been a small team and their internal priorities rarely seem to match many of ours, so we have to do some of the work to try and identify issues.

There's no change here since 2012.