Rfactor 2 licences

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edu, Oct 5, 2010.

1. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Trymedia-licensing works just fine, HOWEVER... I'm currently out of renewals, and my old license will not work on my newly assembled PC. Have contacted both support@trymedia.com (on last Friday) AND sales@rFactor.net (yesterday) - without any respons from either part, this is REALLY annoying :(

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Oh yes... that is the dark side of using Trymedia solution, unfortunatelly :(
    Happend to me a few times, that I had to wait a few days to get licence renewal. Was lucky I didn't have any league races at that time :)

3. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

Surprised by responses keep them coming.

4. Morlock

Morlock Registered

The Trymedia activation system was okay, but their aftersales customer support let it down, particularly when requesting re-activation codes after exceeding the activation limit. A similar system with better customer support, or a better system for re-activation, would be almost perfect.

Definitely preferable to a third-party client such as Steam which is heavily focussed on advertising, becoming bloated, utilises resources unecessarily and is basically a marketing tool.

5. SeKa

SeKa Registered

Agree with Morlock

6. Erik

Erik Registered

Trymedia was okay.

7. samo

samo Registered

I have had no issues with TryMedia. Only had to use 1 of my 5 activations.. and thats only because I wasnt aware I could backup my TryMedia folder after installation.

Thats the first thing I did after the 2nd install, backup the folder, since then I have installed rF probably 20-30 times with no issue. Steam would be great for getting rF2 out there and could possibly bring fresh sim racers into our community and I love steam, use it all the time, but TryMedia is tried and tested and works well.

8. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

I'm waiting like WiZPER, no renewals!

9. doggod

doggod Registered

Would GTR2 system work,1 user 1 key for online ,not sure that any method will stop offline usage.
    Steam is a good option for digital distribution,however i dont like the way that a person can loose access to all their games
    just by logging on to a hacked server as happened earlier this year in Modern Warfare,even though the decision was reversed
    after a couple of weeks(took a lot of complaints), so id be against their game server protection.
    Also I do like having a physical dvd though ,in a nice box with a manual that i can read without having to sit at the pc,
    (like the old days of Diablo etc) when they were works of art in themselves
    Maybe im old fashioned in that but the dvd case is just sterile.

10. frostbyte87

frostbyte87 Registered

I'd like to see some kind of unique ID tied to each user/serial. Maybe make it so that you log into the game and it automatically fetches all the info on you. That way you'd always have the same name wherever you race and whatever install you use (sort of like iRacing). Could imagine that would make it easier for leagues to manage their drivers, as well, concerning things like restricted access and fastest lap time management.

The trymedia-solution works, but I think it's a hassle.

11. bmanic

bmanic Registered

Steam is probably not a good solution at all. I'd actually rather take the Trymedia hassle. Modding and such could be extremely difficult with steam and the problems with their online stability is something we do not want.

Cheers!
    bManic

12. GT VIRUS

GT VIRUS Registered

I'ld like to see a system like lfs or VGP3, where your licence is tied to a username and password and you need that to unlock. I wouldnt like to see steam, as it can be a pain in the arse when playing offline sometimes. Plus, steam will cause issues when creating different rfactor installs like we do currently

13. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I think the most important thing about this is to have the ability to have multiple installs. Mainly for dev purposes but also for spreading out the mod load.

14. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Yes, multiple installs is essential to rFactor 1. Be interesting to see if it's necessary for rF2. Hard to imagine dev without it.

Jim

15. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Steam is fine. Ease of updating, large community friendbase to assist with EASE of multi-player. Not to mention you could set-up a League pack where you buy 25 copies of the game for $500!

16. linkinstreet

linkinstreet Registered

Steam is a bitch in my country. Unable to login, can't play a game unless you restart the client, DC problem, etc.. I still prefer the old licensing version

17. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Problem with the old system is it didn't work. It takes 1 minute to change to a Fixed EXE and then all the licensing in the world is just a waste. Plus the added revenue possible with a steam release would make up for the inevitable pirating. Put it out there on an obscure multi-key limited number of installs systems and people won't even waste the time trying to pay for it. Take it from a person who has played dozens of games and only paid for the titles played over steam.. Steam Works! and most gamers trust it.

18. Rantam

Rantam Registered

I would prefer Trymedia, no doubt. It has been flawless for me, and when i needed a renewal i got a fast response.

Steam is fine for non-moddable games, mostly because of the autoupdate feature (something i don't find that critical unless the game is updated often). As it has been written before it's not very flexible when it comes to add customized content, which in the case of rF2 is basically its reason of being. Apart of that i think Steam is still loaded on memory while you're playing, so that would also mean you're wasting precious resources you may be saving for the game itself.

Just my two cents :)

Ps. Sadly the piracy issue won't be solved with Steam. There're countless examples of that. You may lose the online feature, but for many people the offline mode is more than enough (not everyone likes to play online). That's why i don't really consider that a point on its side.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I think you can take ArmA2 as a great example of Steam acting as the selling/distrobution point and nearly nothing else. Once purchased and downloaded steam will update the core game files but the exe and file structure are completely there for your modding and addon installs. You can launch the game and dedicated server EXE's without the steam client even running. The multi-player isn't even run through the steam community. But the game sold a butt load because it was on steam.

20. linkinstreet

linkinstreet Registered

One reason I don't play ArmA was due to it being on steam since I can't get to connect to my account =__=