"rFactor 2.exe have stopped working" when joining a server!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Myrvold, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

Hi!

So, for some reason now, after not having any issues at all with the game since the first release years ago, I recently migrated to Steam and have started to encounter a pretty frustrating problem which I have no idea at all why is showing up all of a sudden.

I find a server in the server list (doesn't matter what server). I join that random server, the game starts like it should, I choose my car and click race.
    The track loads like it should, I get on the server, and every driver is slowly being loaded to the game. Then for some reason, when all cars and drivers are loaded, it just freezes, and I get the oh so frustrating message "rFactor 2.exe have stopped working"

Usually I'm able to pinpoint the issues to a recently installed mod, track or whatever. However, this happens on ISI tracks with ISI cars and no mods, plugins etc. installed. It happens when custom skins are used, and when stock skins are used. It happens with mods as well, there is just nothing that changes whatever I do.
    Last week when I was streaming a race for a site, I "only" needed two failed attempts to join the server, and on the third it worked. This evening I needed 6 "rFactor 2.exe have stopped working" before I was able to join the server. And after the race I had planned to drive something for myself as well. However, now I am unable to get the game to work on any server at all. I just get that "stopped working" message.
    SinglePlayer works perfectly, I cannot get it to crash there.
    Oh, and I've checked, double checked and triple checked firewalls, even turned it off. Doesn't help at all.

So... What to do now?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'd run a memory diagnostic just to make sure something's not amiss. Sounds a bit intermittent.

3. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

Will do, but as every single other thing on my PC, from VLC, to Automobilista and Grand Theft Auto works perfectly, I don't expect fireworks :)

4. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

Requoting now ;P Done the test, zero issues.

Again, it's just a problem when it is online, with other humans. Online servers with loads of AI cars works well. It's when other humans are involved there is an issue.

5. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Strange that it only happened online ..

What did you do with the standard install files when you went to steam ? something might be left behind when going online ..??

I would run a steam integrity check & see if it replaces any files .. (if your not familiar with it > go to steam ,game library, from the game list find rf2, right click to properties then local files, click the tab to verify integrity of game cash ,, kick back while it sorts your install .. )

Also you might check your download region in steam but I don't think that's the issue and bad connection shouldn't give the 'exe has stopped' ectt....

6. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

Had no standard install files, as I had a clean windows install a couple of weeks before I migrated.

Integrity check done, and that was fine :) Download region is Norway, as that's where I live. The thing is, it randomly decides to work, often after 2-5 tries, but there was that one time when I tried 15 times and it just wouldn't work.

Sorry for late answer, got no notification on it, so didn't think anyone had any ideas.