SOLVED rFactor 2 crashes instantly on launch

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by oqvist, Nov 5, 2013.

1. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Running trace=100 it stops at HD VID

To go back I have previously had problem loading rFactor. I could get one crash out of two trying to start rFactor 2. I could also have to load a multiplayer game 5-10 times before I got in. Once I got on I never had any stability issue running endurances for hours.

But now I first tried to enter a server 15 times with the game crashing just as soon as I saw the name list. Then I just couldn´t get rFactor to load at all. Fresh clean installation of rFactor 2 342, new video card drivers, old video card drivers I used before. Deleting my .plr file and trying change resolutions and graphical settings make no difference. Disable everything, aa, hdr etc running windowed etc still crashes. Had it running two days ago on the very same spec nothing changed.

My computer is 100 % rock stable otherwise.

My specs

Windows 7 64-bit
    I7 4770K Haswell
    Z87-PRO mainboard
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Geforce GTX 580

2. oqvist

oqvist Registered

No response. I am panicking heavilly. I have a 24h endurance at LeMans in less then two weeks. Nothing of the ordinary ISI trouble shooting works Running ISI titles since F1 2000. I did a manual uninstallation of drivers. In the end it was no difference because I had no nvidia references in the registry. I tried reset the graphics settings to default but had done that manually before. No change.

Deleted the player file and config files to no avail.

I am on as fresh as a system as you can ever got due to several reformats and reinstallations due to a double RMA on my Asus Z87-Pro! This board works perfectly for all but rFactor 2...
    I need to find something particular to let me load rFactor 2. I run a vanilla 342 install no plugins nothing at this point but no change. Instant crash after attempting loading rFactor 2.

3. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Hmm I noticed that rFactor 2 seemed to build some trackmap file every time I booted it up by accident having the rfactor 2 folder while attempting to launch I deleted the file both in the document rfactor 2 folder and the main folder but it kept coming back. So I instead put back the trackmap plugin and that allowed me to start and enter the server. So hopefully I will at least get it to run as before which is still not acceptable with multiple crashes. If some of those is related to trackmap but it appears I can´t remove it entirely the regular way.

Question is how do you avoid rFactor 2 to rebuild files like that?

4. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

rFactor 2 doesn't build trackmap files; the 3rd party plugin does.
    When you reinstalled a clean 342, did you remove the leftover files after uninstalling the previous install? If not, the plugin would have remained active and your 342 wasn't exactly vanilla. That would be my guess right now.

I remember reading a different thread where the trackmap plugin would cause random trouble. Not sure if that particular plugin would need to be rebuilt using the latest internals version ...

5. oqvist

oqvist Registered

I deleted the entire user/rfactor 2 folder and from what I recall the entire program 86 folder as well. But anyway works now knock on wood. Next project will see if I can get rid of it entirely.