RF2 & Windows 10: Sounds vanishing mid-race

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Voodoo Pizzaman, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Voodoo Pizzaman

Voodoo Pizzaman Registered

I've begun noticing that after about 5 minutes of using rFactor, all of the sounds disappear. Not just the engine noise, but ALL sounds. And not just for rFactor either. As soon as I quit, there are no sounds anywhere else on my computer. Still, I can't even do things like go to YouTube, because it's as if NO media whatsoever. On top of that, basic functions like the Start Menu and task bar won't even work. Never had this problem before the Windows 10 upgrade, and now that it's been more than a month I can't revert back to Windows 7. Sadly, Win10 is already so glitchy and unusable that I wish I'd never accepted the upgrade to begin with. So has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it?

Windows 10 is just the worst. I think Windows ME was probably a better decision.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Nope, no problems here. Maybe try a clean (Win10) install.

WinME was a pile of ****. No comparison.

3. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Registered

How did you install Windows 10, an upgrade or clean install? Clean install would be best to reduce the chances of problems.
    I'm an IT Director and have so far installed Windows 10 on approximately 20 PC's (a few personal, the rest company computers), another 45-50 to go when all is said and done. Windows 10 has been the most trouble free Microsoft OS I have supported (knock on wood), and I remember the first version of Windows (dating myself). Not saying it's a perfect OS and of course I understand there may be issues with particular hardware combinations but for someone to say Windows ME is a better solution does make me wonder. I hope you get things worked out.
    FYI, I run most every racing sims (Project CARS, AC, R3E, SCE, Dirt Rally, rFactor 2, etc.) and have zero problems on my personal Windows 10 workstation and laptop.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well one way to fix it is too work through bugs then using the Media Creation tool make a USB or DVD image of W10 and do a fresh install.

Turn off router and first take control of W10 in updates tell it not to download drivers or it will.

If you don't before you even aware they will be installed and probably some buggy driver like the Nvidia one I accidentally let install.

Did you get the ASRock / Realtek driver ( assuming you use onboard ) the W10 one has only been out a month.

Go to all hardware sites and check for drivers they gradually being released, they may help.

Tools can help with startmenu /taskbar , I like Classic Shell
    "Standalone" folders of VLC or Winamp you can drag and drop and associate one in a click , what else do you need for media ?

( I delete uninstall everything in programs/add/remove and/or disable the rest, IE and MP included. )

------------------

Of course the other way would be to have only activated it and not tied your ID, IP and Machine # to a MS account.

You could then use either OSes at your leisure ( 1 at a time of course ) , it is not breaking laws no one can force you to use MS account.

====
    P.S. I have "bullet-proof" images of my Primary drive and no MS accounts.

By bulletproof I mean after years testing various driver software and settings combos a good image is like a snapshot in time when you were 100% happy with everything.

I have various W7Pro and W10Pro installs I have tweaked different or use different tools in , another to test stuff and then I do a image of all of them.

I can swap from my W7 to W10 in minutes ergo when restored they are already activated ......and still do the same after free W10 runs out .

Sorry I do not agree I paid for Retail W7 and I get no compensation over and above OEM.
    To say you get a free OS when I paid $300 for W7 Retail is a joke.
    They do it to track you and sway people into using legit accounts and products.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  5. Voodoo Pizzaman

Voodoo Pizzaman Registered

Ugh. No, it was the upgrade version. Sorting through this garbage still because it's certainly a common error - explorer.exe is the culprit, as far as others have reported on similar issues.

And climb out of my *** about the ME joke. Can't I be pissed off and sarcastic while I'm dealing with Microsoft's lousy marketing gimmicks?

6. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Registered

I can understand your frustration but sometimes what we post can start rumors or false truths. After working in IT for many years, I think Microsoft receives more blame than they probably deserve. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they don't deserve some flak for things they have produced over the years but I see the same for most all of the software/hardware I support. They ALL (Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, Symantec, VMWare, Google, Dell, Linux distros, Sony, HP, Samsung, etc.....) release products with bugs and idiosyncrasies or procedures/functions/features that the user base doesn't understand. I see more half-truths and assumptions than reality, technology can get great or a curse depending on how you want to look at it ;-)

7. rolandhaans

rolandhaans Registered

I have 2 machines here, both with W10, and one exhibits this behaviour quite often and the other hasn't yet.. Probably a problem occurring with certain specs

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk